Yahoo mail issue

mcgriffith

New Email
My sister-in-law is having a problem and I am unsure what to do. The problem seems to be that when she receives an email, and say the email is from a friend of hers saying that it is a comment on a picture in facebook, so my sis-in-law wants to go the the link in the email, in this example - facebook, she clicks on the link, then the window opens and starts to load, then stops and it loads a page saying the site may harm her computer, it gives 2 options --- 1 to continue with no protection, she tried this one and it loaded a blank page; the 2nd, was to download a antivirus program, she did not try this one.

I have instructed her to not click on links in her email, or download anything for now.

I logged on her computer last night to see what was going on and besides what she told me, and what is said above, I also noticed that when I just typed in the facebiook address, it came up with the same page ---

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

What is her default web browser? Have you tried clearing the cache? This sounds more like the web browser to me since it does not work whether or not she is clicking a link in an email or going directly to the facebook web page. If she is using IE try using Firefox or Chrome instead for facebook. Facebook has a public notice saying it does not work well with older versions of IE but even after upgrading to the latest version of IE I still had problems with Facebook. You'll also want to make sure there isn't a spyware program installed that set her hosts file to send her to a phishing site or something instead of the real facebook. I prefer spybot. Since you mention virus protection I'll chime in with my vote for Avast too. :)

-Raymond

mcgriffith

New Email
Pop:

Thank you for replying, She is using IE, but I am unsure what version right now. Will check that out. she is notorius for doing swag bucks, facebook etc... so who knows she probably has a new virus or some spyware. I will check out spybot, but she currently has Trend Micro Internet Security as her Virus Protection. I had trouble with Chrome, but I have not tried Firefox, so will check that out. In november, she had a virus and I ended up rebuilding the system back to the original image. I hope I dont get into that again. she is basically computer iliterate, so who knows. I am sure she has done something either she knows she did and wont admit or she simply amy not know she did anything. I am sure you know the type. Any more ideas? Thanks so much.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I'd say go with getting Firefox installed but don't use it yet. Get spybot and all of it's protections installed and run an immunize and system scan. When that is done try using Firefox to go to Facebook and I'd think that would work with no problems. There should not be any harm in making Firefox her default web browser either.

-Raymond