Tips for changing your primary e-mail address

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member

Hello,

I recently went through a primary e-mail address change too. Do you still have access to the old address? I would not worry about changing all 300 sites and any mailing lists that you might be on. I'd hope that part of the goal is to keep the new e-mail address clean. First I would tell your family, friends, and any important contacts that you have a new e-mail address. Next, check any sites that really matter such as the e-mail that your bank or paypal uses to contact you. Once that's done, monitor the old e-mail address for 30-60 days and update the sources that are sending e-mail there that you would still like to receive. After some time when you are no longer getting e-mail that you want at the old address you can have the old account deleted.

-Raymond

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
Here's the way I work it:

I keep my main address as a forward if I ever want to change mail services I just change the forwarder. Simple and easy if you own you own domains.

Another thing I've done when I want to change my address to another domain is I change my email address at the sites I frequent then move my original addresses forward to another target account and monitor it for stuff I actually want then login to those sites and change the address there. I normally monitor the original address for at least a month then move the forwarder back to the original target account and set a rule to move all messages from that account to a separate folder.