How to send email newsletter mailing lists through the Gmail outgoing smtp servers

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

Do you have a mailing list or newsletter program that you would like to send out messages from using your Gmail account?

The first thing you need to do is create a Gmail account and configure it with your other email addresses.

• If you do not have one already first create a Gmail account
  • Login to your account
  • Go to the settings
  • Click the accounts tab
  • Click the link for add another email address that you own
After configuring your Gmail account with the additional From: addresses that you would like to send as, use the following information to configure the SMTP outgoing email server information in your email program:

• Outgoing SMTP mail server: smtp.gmail.com
  • Use authentication: Yes
  • [FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono][SIZE=-1]Use SSL/TLS: Yes[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono][SIZE=-1]Port: 587[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono][SIZE=-1]Account name: Your full gmail address[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono][SIZE=-1]Email address: The full email address that you want to send From:
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono][SIZE=-1]Password: Your Gmail Password[/SIZE][/FONT]
Once you have all of the above created and configured you should be able to send your email From: any configured address using the Google Gmail outgoing smtp servers.

-Raymond

pnemeth

New Email
Hi Raymond,

This is exactly what I try to do, to set up an email list through a gmail account. I have some problems though...

What the idea is: using Python and imaplib I wrote a short script (getmail) what downloads incoming emails, stores email body and subject in text files and attachments in a directory. Then, I do some check on the email. Finally, using smtplib, mimetypes and email modules I put the subject, text and attachment together and send it out to a list of addresses from gmail.

The incoming emails are in Hungarian, mostly using iso-8859-2. And here is my problem, I could not yet reverse engineer the encodings. Some emails are completely unreadable. I guess, gmail uses base64 and utf-8. Using these encodings characters like áűőúóüö go through between gmail accounts, but they don't for all incoming emails. It seems random to me at this time.

I am new to this area. Could you, or anyone, give me some hint on encodings? What do I need to do to get it work in general.

Thank you!
Peter

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Peter,

This is getting a little beyond my programming. Hopefully someone else will jump in. My sense is that the links toward the top of my reply are the most relevant and the rest are situations where others tried to solve similar problems.

Have you checked out the Google API site? Google Apps - Google Code

Programmers have had success converting to utf8 using the open source pieces of reportlab, an addon for python. ReportLab's Open Source Libraries - ReportLab.com

Sending multipart MIME email with smtplib and MimeWriter « Python recipes « ActiveState Code

18.1.11. email: Examples — Python v2.7 documentation

www.python-forum.org • View topic - smtplib and unicode

Python 3 smtplib send with unicode characters- WeAsk

ISO-8859-2 to UTF8 conversion problems

Do you have a piece of code others can review?
If you solve the problem please post the solution. :thanks: