Thunderbird 45.3.0 stuck in Safe Mode in Windows 7

pjbw127

New Email
Last week I picked up a nasty via a friend of mine. PC dead slow, Thunderbird would not load.
I started it in Safe Mode and all was well. (Kaspersky picked up a rogue QuickTime 7 which I removed).
However Thunderbird insists on starting in Safe Mode. All my AddOns work but have to be enabled each time - I miss Show InOut at startup.
How can I get back to starting in 'normal' mode?

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
Somebody called Theresa from forums@emailquestions.com contacted me. I replied but have heard nothing since.
Would uninstalling Thunderbird and then reinstalling help - I don't want to lose my data?
Theresa is one of the owners here.

You won't lose data by uninstalling and reinstalling Thunderbird. I have to say never come across Thunderbird stuck in safe mode. Try launching Thunderbird by directly from the Program Files folder and see what happens. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\ or C:\ Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\ (if you run 64-bit Windows) and double click on Thunderbird.

The reason I'm asking you to navigate through the program files folder is most of what I read regarding Thunderbird being stuck in safe mode relates to the shortcuts (Start menu, Desktop, Task bar) for Thunderbird being changed to include the safe mode switch.

Outside of that, I would start looking at some of your addons. If one hasn't been updated in a particularly long time. I would disable it then try restarting Thunderbird.

pjbw127

New Email
Dan,
Thunderbird back up to speed again so I don't have to install Mailbird or whatever!
I got all the AddOns working from Safe Mode, reinstalling them (the latest X-Note is impressive). Still stuck in Safe Mode. I reinstalled Thunderbird 45-3-0. Still no go and went to bed.
Booted up next day and bingo - Thunderbird usable again!
I don't know why but my desktop PC has over a million files in it; next step W10?

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
You have to love computers. Sometimes they just up and work other times you want to throw them out the Window.

Windows 10 is decent. I'm running in on both my machines. It's a bit of a leap from Windows 7. If you're happy with Windows 7, I'd stick with it. You will still get security patches for W7 until 2020*.

*source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

pjbw127

New Email
[...throw them out the Window - defenestrate!]
Dan,
Nearly there...
In the 'Write' dialog there used to be an option whereby I could insert a little formatted text file at the end of the email I was sending.
Such as:
<pre><b>Peter White</b>
</pre>
It was near the top of the Options menu, I can't remember the wording.
I can't find out how to restore this option - maybe you would know?

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
That sounds like signature functionality. Tools > Account Settings > Check the "Use HTML" option beside the signature text box and enter your text.

You can also use Insert > HTML in Compose window.