ISP made mess of Outlook Express

tryktryst

New Email
Hi, I'm new here, so, Hi!
Just got a new computer that is running Windows xp.That's what I'm used to. The techie that walked me through the email setup did something completely different. Instead of just using the inbox and existing folders he made a complete other set called imap. I don't know why...???Now things don't work the same, like when I click to delete a mail it puts a line thru the title of the mail. Then, and only sometimes, I have click 'purge' before it deletes it. That's a PIA! There is no 'purge' button in the existing Outlook Express. I don't need or want it! Sorry.
Can I get rid of what he setup and get back to the good old OE?

Thanks, Bob

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Bob,

What the techie did was set up your Outlook so that your email and folders are checked and stored on your ISP's mail servers, not on your home computer. This has the added benefit of making sure that a computer crash shouldn't cause you to lose emails, but yes, it's also means learning how to do things a little differently than when you had been using Outlook Express with a pop3 connection.

The line means that the message is marked for deletion, but that it has not yet been expunged. Depending on your configuration the emails may not be deleted until you close Outlook.

If you are sure that you want to change from IMAP back to POP3...

What is the domain name for your email? If you let us know who your email provider is we can help you delete the IMAP settings and create a pop3 connection to your account in Outlook Express.

-Raymond

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Bob,

Here are the incoming pop3 and outgoing smtp server settings for Telus :

Incoming Mail Server Type: POP3
Incoming Mail Server: pop.telus.net
Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.telus.net (or mail.telus.net)

To set up Outlook Express use the this Yahoo guide for the general steps needed in setting up a pop3 account, but when typing in server names use the incoming and outgoing servers above. Also, it appears that you should leave your outgoing mail server on port 25.

http://www.emailquestions.com/yahoo-mail/863-check-yahoo-mail-plus-pop3-account-outlook-express.html

Were you able to use the above information to get the pop3 account settings configured?

Once they are working you can ignore or delete the IMAP account settings. In Outlook Express go to Tools and Select Accounts. Highlight the imap account name and then click the remove button. Click the close button after it is deleted and you should be done with removing the imap configuration from your Outlook Express.

-Raymond