Is online email reliable?

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by hawthorn, Jul 18, 2009.

1. hawthorn

hawthorn New Email

Hi

I have a number of pop based email accounts, but I want a new seperate one, as its a small project Im setting up.

Are web based email accounts such as Yahoo, Hotmail, GMX etc totally reliable? ie is there any possibility of a crash or disaster where I would lose all my emails?

What is the best one to choose?

:thanks:

h

2. popowich

popowich EQ Forum Admin Staff Member

Hello,

There are no guarantees with the free email service providers.

That said, I use Gmail the most. You can connect to Gmail with a pop3 program, and they also have great spam filtering!

By using an email program on your computer you can also include your email in your computer backups.

-Raymond

3. hawthorn

hawthorn New Email

Thanks.

So if I used gmail or hotmail I could use a pop3 program and download them to the pc. Altermatively if Im using gmail etc, can the stored messages ie that I want to keep, be backed up anywhere, say, weekly?

h

4. popowich

popowich EQ Forum Admin Staff Member

Manual backups you can do yourself for free.

If you require automated backups Gmail Keeper is a popular option.

If you can live without the automation then Gmail Backup is free backup software that you can use to backup your Gmail account.

-Raymond

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up (and it's free!). Click the orange sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice