Disposable email deletion policy

Discussion in 'SCRYPTmail' started by uioqwe, Feb 8, 2017.

1. uioqwe

uioqwe New Email

What is SCRYPTmail's policy on records for disposable email addresses upon deletion?

2. SCRYPTmail

SCRYPTmail Email Service Provider

Same as for other emails, 6 month retention policy

3. uioqwe

uioqwe New Email

Sorry, I meant the actual email address, not the emails under the address. To be more specific, say I've got the disposable foo@scryptmail.com. If I delete the address because I'm done, is it open to be used by someone else?

4. SCRYPTmail

6 months at least

5. uioqwe

uioqwe New Email

Have you considered the idea that this could allow a user to hijack previously-existing communications by registering a "deleted" (previously-used) address? Proton's policy is "We do not recycle usernames, which means the same username will be not available in the future" [1], which completely eradicates this issue.

[1]: How to delete your account - ProtonMail Support

6. SCRYPTmail

Well, I can only praise such approach, however with free signups you will deplete pool of good email addresses very quick, and leave potential paid users with something more encrypted and less user friendly like john123@sc.. I come from the point, if user decided to delete certain address, he either not interested in receiving email from it, which essentially not important to him or its was just come and go account. In any case, 6 month seems like good retention policy for such things, and allow users who decide to stick with us claim a good email address.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up (and it's free!). Click the orange sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.