YPOPS - How to configure your free Yahoo mail account to work with POP3

Discussion in 'Yahoo Mail' started by popowich, Nov 26, 2008.

1. popowich

popowich EQ Forum Admin Staff Member

Hello,

Yahoo members who have upgraded to Yahoo Mail Plus should use the directions at the following link:

http://www.emailquestions.com/yahoo-mail/863-check-yahoo-mail-plus-pop3-account-outlook-express.html

If you would like to try checking your free Yahoo mail account with a pop3 program on your desktop such as Microsoft Outlook YPOPs is an alternative to Yahoo Mail Plus that works for some people.

Please use the following steps to configure YPOPs and your mail program:

• Download and install YPOPs. For more information see our YPOPs Review. (Only needed for United States @yahoo.com members)
    • Open Microsoft Outlook.
    • Go to the Tools menu and select E-Mail Accounts
    Yahoo - Tools E-Mail Accounts.JPG
    • Select Add a new e-mail account and press Next
    Yahoo - Add a new e-mail account.JPG
    • Select POP3 and press Next
    Yahoo - POP3.JPG
    • Complete the fields for your Real Name, e-mail address, username, password, incoming server, and outgoing server. For the username use only the first part of your Yahoo e-mail address before the @, and use 127.0.0.1 for both your incoming and outgoing mail servers. When you are done filling in the fields click More Settings
    Yahoo E-Mail Accounts.JPG
    • Go to the Outgoing Server tab, click the option for My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication, and leave the Use the same settings as my incoming mail server checked.
    Yahoo - Internet Email Settings.JPG
    • Click OK, click Next, and then click Finish

Microsoft outlook 2003 is now configured to access your free Yahoo Mail Account!

If you have any questions about YPOPs, Yahoo Mail, or configuring a different e-mail program to work with YPOPs please create a new thread in our Yahoo Mail Help Forum.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2012
  2. dwheelman

dwheelman New Email

in the illustration shown after clicking 'new account' the only way I can get that first window is to create a 'news account' when I choose 'email account' I do not get that window for servers to enter '127.0.0.1' only in 'news accounts'

3. popowich

Hello,

What email client are you using?

News is a different service than email.

This will not work if you try to configure as a new server

4. popowich

Hello,

Please give me a short while to create screen shots for Winmail.

5. dwheelman

dwheelman New Email

when I set up the account it configures it to pop.mail.yahoo.com (25) and smtp.mail.yahoo.com (110) so how is ypop supposed to interact? I have it set to run when I start windows and went through all the buttons seems to be ok, so I'm lost.

6. dwheelman

dwheelman New Email

hello I'm trying to use windows live mail u download and install it it's just like windows mail but better could use either 1 with yahoo if I can get ypops and yahoo to work through either wmail or wlmail

7. dwheelman

dwheelman New Email

I got it! finally after all this trying it works, the whole key in my case was the pop and smtp server names unless u configure it manually it names them pop.mail.yahoo.com and smtp.mail.yahoo.com and they both should be '127.0.0.1' I have to add my other folders that I created 'user defined folders', I just can't believe it works! great!:yay:

8. popowich

Thank you for letting us know the solution so others can benefit from the information. :thanks:

9. dwheelman

dwheelman New Email

I keep getting an error box from yahoo however ("yahoo bad request error"), I noticed that when I delete the 'junk mail' it moves to 'deleted items' and when I 'empty deleted items' I get error box and they're all back in the 'junk folder' again there is no junk folder in the mail web page however, don't know, haven't tried sending mail recieving mail is working fine

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  10. lukesw2

lukesw2 New Email

When I try and send and recieve with my yahoo account on Outlook all that comes up is:
    Task 'Yahoo! Mail - Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).' I'm a college student who mostly works off the college's internet, so i don't have a ISP to go to...any suggestions as to how to get it to work?

11. popowich

Hello,

What do you see if you go to start -> run and type :

12. abzh

abzh New Email

yes I did I even tried to delete the email account and tried it again but still it is not working. I tried to do a right click on the ypop icon on the system tray and clicked on cofigure then clicked on the network tab then under bind on IP address I see three option 192.168.2.101, 127.0.0.1 and any. The first IP is my network IP address, which one should be choosen?

13. popowich

Hello,

On my computer choosing 127.0.0.1 works for me.

Do you have a virus scanner or firewall program that might be timing out or blocking your email connections?

14. belcebu

belcebu New Email

My problem same.

15. water

water New Email

@belcebu: firstly, you should login to your yahoo mail then click option - then choose POP & forwarding - set up or edit POP & forwarding - click Web & POP access - save changes

16. belcebu

belcebu New Email

Thanks very much water and everybody:thanks:

17. tonilsy

tonilsy New Email

but where to find that?

i open the yahoo mail
    and click the right up corner option
    then choose the mail option.

but cannot find the "POP & forwarding" option.....

why i still cannot configure my yahoo mail to the outlook?

18. popowich

Hi tonilsy,

To find the pop and forwarding screen :

• Click Options and then select Mail Options in the top right
    Yahoo Mail Options.JPG
    • Click Pop and Forwarding on the left side of the mail options screen
    Yahoo Mail Pop Forwarding.JPG
    Please note that this option is for yahoo plus members.

If you are trying to use YPOPS you will be installing YPOPS and then using 127.0.0.1 as your incoming mail server name

19. Edwardj51

Edwardj51 New Email

Seems really stupid. Why would the first line of the post read "Yahoo members who have upgraded to Yahoo Mail Plus should use these directions:" if we are talking about a "FREE YAHOO ACCOUNT" ????

20. popowich

Hello,

The line you quoted was referencing the link below it. If you pay for the Yahoo Mail Plus account then you do not need to install YPOPS on your computer. YPOPS does not work for everyone, that's why the Yahoo Mail Plus is there as a backup option if you really still want pop3 access to your free Yahoo account. I'll change that wording a little bit to make it more clear.

:welcome: to Email Questions!

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up (and it's free!). Click the orange sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.