New Hotmail Account blocked with error message 5.3.4

carole

New Email
I just set up a new hotmail account and I was testing it to make sure it worked. It doesn't. I get this message. An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded 5.3.4 Requested action not taken. We noticed some unusual activity in your Hotmail account. To help protect you, we've temporarily blocked your account. Please check the message and try again.

I looked this up on the internet and everywhere I found a reference, it said I had to go to some webpage and enter my cell phone number, then I'd get a text message that I had to enter to get my account unblocked. Well, not everyone in this world has a cell phone. I'd be stupid to pay for one when there are no cell phone signals in the remote area where I am currently located. So is there a way around this idiotic resolution?

I have another hotmail account and have never had a problem with it. Is this something new? And who was the genius?? that thought this up?

I sure would appreciate any help that you can give me. Thanks, Carole:hammer:

THERESA

Customer Service
If you didn't set up the account with a cell as a back up way to get into your account, providing a cell number wouldn't do any good. That email wasn't registered connected with a cell number to begin with. If there is a site asking for your cell phone information to unlock your account it is probably a scam.

In my personal opinion, I think gmail is the best free email account to have. If you're really set on a hotmail account, set up a new one and use your other hotmail email as the back up if there is a problem getting into the new one and it should work that way.

carole

New Email
It seems that all most of the resolutions I found have to do with entering a cell phone number. I don't have a cell phone. So I ended up calling a friend who lives a couple of hours from me and asked to use his cell phone number. I entered it on the website. They sent the unblock code to his cell phone, he called and gave it to me, I entered on the website and now my account is working. Then I deleted his cell phone number from the account profile. What a stupid way to have to resolve something that should be simple. Who ever thought the cell phone verification thing up should have to wear a sign saying they are stupid.