Email text not showing on Windows Live - are the files retrievable?

Discussion in 'Windows Live Mail' started by Lloydster, May 19, 2015.

1. Lloydster

Lloydster New Email

Hi guys

I'm a bit of a tech ignoramus, but I need help with my email and I'm hoping you can assist...

A few months ago I had to have my hard drive wiped and sent to the repairers due to a "bad sector," which was fortunately still covered by the warranty. With Windows not quite working properly I managed to do a manual back-up of my Windows Live Mail emails before everything was erased.

I have mostly managed to get the emails back up and visible on the repaired computer, which is now operating on Windows 8. But for one folder the older emails from before the switchover are showing only the name, date and subject. The text area has the following message...

Message cannot be found
    The contents of this message cannot be found.

I am gutted that it appears I have lost these emails, probably due to a mistake on my part when I was transferring the emails across. But I can't help but wonder whether they are somehow retrievable - especially if the sender, subject and date information is all still visible.

Do you have any suggestions?

Lloyd

2. popowich

popowich EQ Forum Admin Staff Member

Hi Lloyd,

Do you remember what version of Windows and Windows Live Mail you had installed on the old computer?

3. Lloydster

Lloydster New Email

Hi popowich! I recall I was using Windows Live Mail 2012 on the old computer, the same as on the fixed computer.

4. popowich

popowich EQ Forum Admin Staff Member

Hi LLoyd,

Was the manual backup done by making a copy of the live file structure or by following directions similar to these?

How to Backup Windows Live Mail 2011 | Email Questions

I'm trying to figure out if you need to try a re-install over an old file system vs. a proper import process is required.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up (and it's free!). Click the orange sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.