How many e-mail addresses do you have?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

How many e-mail addresses do you have? Do you forward them to each other? Do you use the same e-mail address for every web site that you sign up on or do you use aliases so sites that spam you can be easily ignored? How old is your oldest e-mail address?

I have three e-mail addresses I give out and forward to a primary account that I check often. I have several other addresses that I check less often daily to weekly but they are still checked regularly. I used to maintain a long list of aliases so I could delete address that became a problem, but with SpamAssassin on my mail server and Gmail doing the spam filtering for other accounts I don't have a need for maintaining email alias lists anymore.

I often create throwaway address that are used once for testing and never used again.

The oldest address that I still monitor is about 10 years old now.

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
I've got one main address that I use for everything. I have several others for websites that I own the typical webmaster and admin aliases but rarely send mail through them.

They all get dumped into Gmail.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

Welcome to Email Questions!

What domains are your addresses with and why do you like or dislike those email providers?

foggy

Valued Member
How many e-mail addresses do you have?

Hmmm... Well, let's see. It's Monday, so I have 28. Maybe tomorrow it'll be different.

No, seriously. I really have a short attention span when it comes to email. I play around with it too much. Signing up for accounts. Canceling accounts. Then coming back to the ones I canceled. Etc. Things could change any time.

E.g. after a brief hiatus I returned to one of my favorites: FastMail.fm. Lightning fast (beta) webmail (same team behind myopera's). Nice features, with more to be added as the beta matures. And, with my single 'lite' family account, I presently have nearly 20 aliases reserved for when I need 'em. Most are short and sweet (< 6 character usernames and 2-5 character domain aliases). Some will be used for sign-ups (Amazon, Twitter, message board registration, etc.). Others for friends and/or family. Plenty to go around. Hey, I wouldn't even mind using one for Theresa's family. (Or is it 'spamily' ? )

But I also have accounts with Gmail, Outlook (the-email-service-formerly-known-as-Hotmail), Hushmail, MyOpera, EuMX and Yandex.

Of all these, only FM is a pay account ($15/yr.). Well, EuMX is, too, but I got it free.

My present main account is with MyOpera, but as I move things over (again) to FM, I'll no doubt auto-forward mail to MyOpera as well as my EuMX account for storage/back-up. I also use Hushmail for backing up only the most important emails, since I have a free (25mb) account there. (And I do occasionally do a back-up of emails by downloading to my Outlook offline client.)

boxer

New Email
main account : most personal email , bank etc.
anonymous account in the name of twickster.
business account for freelancing , job-hunting etc.
work account
teeming account

THERESA

Customer Service
I have 1 that I use.

I have a primary email address and I use thunderbird to access it. It's strictly for business and important personal matters. (regarding my children's school etc)

I have a yahoo email that is really old that is all spam but I still check it periodically.

I have another yahoo that I tried to start hoping friends and family would respect my privacy and not send forwarded emails and junk etc. That didn't happen and that one turned into spam also so I dumped it and only check it periodically. I no longer give out my email address to friends and family.