Changes in the Verizon or One Communications smtp server?

andyw

Valued Member
My outlook program has been sending and receiving nicely for years. Just since Oct 1, I can not send via smtp. I have changed nothing on my computer. Have you altered the settings on your email server that could cause this problem?

Andy

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Re: Changes in smtp server?

Hi Andy,

Which email provider do you use for sending your email?

If it is different, please also let us know who provides your internet connection since they should have an smtp server that you can use too.

Also, have you made any changes to your computer recently such as a new anti-virus or firewall program that might be blocking your outgoing email?

What is the exact error message that you are receiving?

-Raymond

andyw

Valued Member

Hi,

My local service provider is verizon.

The email account about which I am inquiring is on onecommunications. I have always been able to download and respond to my onecommunications email account using outlook. Those receiving my email were shown my sending email as andyw@mhanp.org.

With the changes that have occurred, I am forced to reply to messages I receive at the mhanp.org domain using my @verizon address. This causes tons of credibility problems.

When I reply to an email I receive at andyw@mhanp.org, the error message reads:

Unable to connect to server (Account: 'Andy at MHANP', SMTP Server: smtp.choiceonemail.com, Error Number: 0x800ccc0e)
Thanks for your help, Ray.

andyw

Valued Member

Hi,

I neglected to add in my first response that the organization has installed MS Exchange Server recently. I am not on their internal server because I work off site. Don't know how this might affect my issue. Andy

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member

Hi Andy,

There was recently a policy change on the Verizon outgoing mail servers.

The best smtp server name for One Communications is smtp.onecommunications.net

When using smtp.onecommunications.net from off network you will want to use port 587 and smtp-auth (use the same username and password as your pop account).

If you need to use port 25 you can use the name smtp-pop.onecommunications.net and that will work as long as you pop your email account before trying to send email.

From a Verizon connection I believe using the smtp-auth option will work best for you.

Also, if the exchange server is configured to relay out though smtp.onecommunications.net (not recommended) it will be limited to 500 outgoing email connections per hour.

-Raymond

andyw

Valued Member
Yes, Ray. I am sending and receiving correctly using smtp-auth on port 587.

Thanks for your help.

Andy

The One Communications Email Support KB is here.

To contact our customer service and repair departments call 888.832.5801

You can manage your DNS and Email services hosted at One Communications here.