Verizon to AOL e-mail address migration problems

Mr. J

New Email
On June 22, 2016 one of my three E-mail accounts stopped receiving mail and gave an error message "sending of user name did not succeed. Mail server pop.verizon.net responded: [AUTH] Authentication failed.". Because of the transfer of accounts from Verizon to AOL this has happened. Neither company is any help in resolving, but I can still send E-Mails to that address. They go somewhere successfully. The technical support idiots cannot explain where they are going or why they can be sent successfully. Can anyone help me understand where the sent E-mails are going and how to access them?

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
Hi Mr. J,

Welcome to EQ! :) I gather you changed your internet provider to AOL from Verizon? How are you keeping your Verizon email account active? Usually once you cancel service the mailbox is closed.

Anyhow, since it's an authentication failed error and you're not getting bounce messages when sending mail to that address it's most likely the mailbox still exists on Verizon's systems. The easiest way to get access to the mailbox is to call and have them walk you through a password reset. Don't mention anything about a migration that will just complicate matters with lower level tech support.