Suddenly I am getting filthy, disgusting Emails which are thankfully put into spam by yahoo.

Bobmersh

New Email
Suddenly I am getting filthy, disgusting Emails. Thankfully they are put into spam. To date I have 73 addresses in my Banned Addresses folder. How can I stop these disgusting Emails?

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
Suddenly I am getting filthy, disgusting Emails. Thankfully they are put into spam. To date I have 73 addresses in my Banned Addresses folder. How can I stop these disgusting Emails?
There's really no way to stop spam or at least it's a futile effort. For every address you 'ban', 100 more pop up.

At least the messages are being filtered to your spam folder where you don't even have to look at them. Messages in the spam folder usually delete automatically after some period of time. 30-90 days depending on the provider.

Last edited:

Bobmersh

New Email
Cheers for the reply Big Dan, the banned addresses now amount to 85. I think your right enough because to ban the address you have to open the message. From now on I'll leave them and let them delete automatically or even delete them myself without opening them. I have a sneaky feeling someone has sold my Email address and now I'm getting these messages from all over the world. I also think it's a coincidence it started approx. the same time as I switched broadband supplier to Talk Talk. Once again many thanks for your advice. Bob.

Outlook webmail makes it easy to import emails from an old account, and Outlook has ten alias addresses you can establish that are as permanent or temporary as you want to make them. And if you use scrambled usernames in your alias addresses, you will foil brute force dictionary attempts to guess your username.

You can accommodate your personal contacts who want to know who is writing them, by putting your name and a second word just before the random string.

For example, bobmersh9tWr#xH7zE@outlook.com . If the address is compromised. create a new address, changing either word and changing the random string. robertmersh5mEc6Bxu2jAp@outlook.com can replace the old, compromised address, which you then delete after you've notified your contacts of the change.

Any woodpecker-type spammer who changes his return address to foil your spam blockers cannot prevail against this.

Now, I use a more elaborate system that includes Outlook's aliases, plus a Gmail account and two AOL accounts...all of which are managed by the LastPass password manager.

But Outlook will get you started toward keeping these woodpeckers floating in cyberspace, looking for someone to hassle; but not you.

If ten aliases are not enough, gmx.com and mail.com each offer ten alias addresses in their free accounts. 30 aliases should hold the fort for most people.

Good Luck!