Keeping emails separate

hotmailkate

New Email
Yesterday (26/7/10) the hotmail inbox changed - much for the worse.
If I send emails on the same day or at a similar time they seem to be linked together. I would like to save emails to different people into different folders but seem unable to separate them now. I am also inundated with all emails listed below the one I am working on, that don't necessarily belong together, and I don't feel confident they are not being forwarded too.

Please can someone put it back the way it was before - this is so messy and complicated. Can I choose to opt for the previous system?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

Microsoft has been busy upgrading users to the new Hotmail :

http://www.emailquestions.com/email-articles/2292-new-windows-live-hotmail-features.html

Have you tried using the new sweep feature to manage the emails in your inbox?

Why do you think your emails are not forwarding? Are you getting an error or a bounce message a few days later?

It used to be an option after some past upgrades but I do not see a way to revert back to the old Hotmail from the latest version of Hotmail.

-Raymond

hotmailkate

New Email
Dear Raymond.
Thank you for your answer.
I am concerned that separate emails which appear to be attached together may be being sent to recipients for whom they were not intended, because when I look back at the email, other completely different emails, for completely different people are accessible underneath.

The other problem is that when I save an email into a different folder it mostly (confusingly not always) puts my name as the recipient. I don't need to know this - I know I moved it!! I need to see the name of the person I originally sent it to. Can I do anything to sort this?

I will investigate the sweep option, but I haven't tried it yet as it sounds like I could lose a lot of emails in one go by misunderstanding something!
:thanks:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

In the first part of your concerns I believe you are describing Hotmail conversations. Grouping messages together by conversation makes Hotmail look and feel a little more like a Gmail inbox. Personally, I prefer that setting, thought it might take some getting used to if you are new to it. If you don't like conversations and want to change the behavior:

• Login to your Hotmail
  • Select Options in the top right then click More Options
  • Under Customize your email click Conversation Settings
  • Select the option for Show messages individually
  • Click the Save button
I'm not able to duplicate your second concern about your name sometimes displaying on emails in your folders. Perhaps this behavior will fix itself for your account after you change your conversation settings. If it's still a problem can you take a screen shot?

:thanks:-Raymond

hotmailkate

New Email
Dear Raymond.

Thank you again for your reply. The converation option was the problem - I have never come across it before and it confused messages enormously. I couldn't quite work out how it chose to link them as unconnected emails seem to be joined to others. I did what you suggested and it worked.
The other problem, has disappeared from most files, but not the ones I recreated in an attempt to work out which member of the group, sent which message - critical!
I tried to recreate them again but it doesn't put back to the way it was before.

Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.
:thanks:Kate

YaYa

New Email
Other people also found the new Hotmail inbox with numerous emails even from different people together on one line challenging to use for many reasons. There were no answers that I found online. I worked it out.

Go to INBOX>ARRANGE on the top right hand>CONVERSATION>DATE

That will restore single emails