Is a Barracuda appliance better than google apps for spam filtering?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi LCS,

It depends on your needs, but in general I think barracudas are overpriced and it's worth trying Google Apps.

If you want to try Google Apps I can give you a Google Apps coupon code which provides a discount per user if you're comparing prices right now.

:welcome: to Email Questions!

LCS

New Email
I'm paying more thousands annually for Google and getting hammered with spam. Barracuda comes in way cheaper.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
The cuda pricing, last I knew, will be about as bad or worse. Try having Google support take a look and help with any misconfigurations and account cleanup. By misconfigurations I'm referring to having whitelisted your own domain or users email addresses which would let a lot of spam pass through to your inboxes, and you may also be paying for forwarding for accounts that could be reconfigured as free forwards in Google Apps.

LCS

New Email
We're hosting our own exchange server and want to keep it in house. Google was better when they were postini.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Oh, the old postini service I believe is separate from Google apps. Gmail, Google Apps, and the legacy spam filtering product I believe are all separate even though they're all Google. In that case I still recommend checking for mistakes in your whitelisting rules that might be letting in a lot of spam. Moving from exchange to Office 365 is supposed to be doable too if it's easier to outsource than maintain a Microsoft Exchange server in your office.