521 5.2.1 :(CON:B1)

marlingo

New Email
I just moved a VPS over to KH from HG. My site has an opt-in mailing list for which press releases and other alerts are sent out. I sent out an email to my members yesterday and to my surprise I received a LOT of mail bounced back. I determined that the bounces were only from users with AOL email addresses.

I checked the IP address that my VPS is on and it does not appear to be on any of the blacklists. Has anyone run in to this before with AOL? I submitted a request to AOL to whitelist my IP and it was denied because I don't have a 30 day history of sending mail to AOL users. I'm not sure how I can do that if they are getting bounced in the first place!!! Who uses AOL anymore!?

Here's an example of the error:

SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
host mailin-01.mx.aol.com [205.188.155.110]: 521 5.2.1
I just moved a VPS over to KH from HG. My site has an opt-in mailing list for which press releases and other alerts are sent out. I sent out an email to my members yesterday and to my surprise I received a LOT of mail bounced back. I determined that the bounces were only from users with AOL email addresses.

I checked the IP address that my VPS is on and it does not appear to be on any of the blacklists. Has anyone run in to this before with AOL? I submitted a request to AOL to whitelist my IP and it was denied because I don't have a 30 day history of sending mail to AOL users. I'm not sure how I can do that if they are getting bounced in the first place!!! Who uses AOL anymore!?

Here's an example of the error:

SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
host mailin-01.mx.aol.com [205.188.155.110]: 521 5.2.1 CON:B1)

I have learned that according to AOL, that error is:

I have learned that according to AOL, that error is:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
According to the AOL postmaster page the reason behind that error message is:

The IP address has been blocked due to a spike in recent complaints, poor reputation or policy reasons. Please visit our Guidelines and best practices sections for more information on our Technical and policy requirements.

What is your new IP address? Is your IP address dedicated or shared? What is it's sender score?

I think the best action at this time is to save and remove the aol.com addresses from your list, and reconfirm them back into the list after your reputation improves.

marlingo

New Email
this is my IP address range 162.252.57.[243-251] and this is my domain branchvisits.com and my Sender Score Metrics for 87 Very Low Volume Sender . ..MY IP address dedicated

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
That's not bad, the 87 is great for the good IP's.

Some of the IP's have generic reverse DNS. I recommend replacing those PTR's with custom names that have matching forward and reverse DNS.

The good IP's end in 243 245 251 - Fire away! Send all your good email to recipients that want it as fast as you want.

The IP's that need some time to burn in end in 244 247 249 250 - Rate limit how fast you send email from them. Give the big email services some time to see consistent good email from them before ramping them up.

The IP's that are bad end in 246 and 248. These appear to have sent spam as recent as 12/19 which was 5 days ago. Stop using them for now, and start burning them in once the reputation has gone from bad to neutral.