Yahoo verification

anonprivate

Valued Member
I cannot use Yahoo's POP server because I use the free mail service, rather than Yahoo Plus.

Hence I have configured WinMail so that I can send messages to Hotmail and they will then be forwarded to Yahoo. Replies sent to Hotamail are again forwarded to Yahoo.

When I activate Winmail on my desktop I get a verification box that asks for my username and passowrd for pop.mail.yahoo.com. The credentials are remembered.

Why am I getting this message. Can it be avoided?

Note, I do not want to download mail from yahoo to my pc.

Thanks.

A

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

Saying that you don't want to download your email says to me that you don't want to use POP3 to check the email from your computer.

Did you know that you can create an IMAP connection to your Yahoo account now?

Here are the settings:

http://www.emailquestions.com/yahoo-mail/7237-setup-imap-connection-yahoo-mail.html

You do not see to purchase Yahoo Mail Plus to get IMAP access to Yahoo Mail.

I think that that's a cleaner solution and avoids the problem above. Does this solution meet your needs?

anonprivate

Valued Member
I want to use POP3 because when I click on an email address on a webpage WinMail starts and I would like to send a message.

At other times I use yahoo mail.

Regarding the IMAP settings you provided. If I use these in Winmail will the programme download Yahoo mail to my pc?

Thanks

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
The IMAP connection will give you access to your Yahoo Mail, but it will not "download to your PC".

You will still be able to see the email from your Yahoo webmail login and any other devices connected to your Yahoo account.

anonprivate

Valued Member
IMAP seems to work.

What is the difference between IMAP, relay, pop3, smtp protocols?
Is Yahoo a factor?
Thanks

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
The SMTP (25/tcp) protocol is what mail programs use to send and how mail servers relay between each other on the internet.

Usually everything in this path is using SMTP to communicate:

Your computer -> Your outgoing mail server -> The recipients mail server

In addition to webmail interfaces, POP3 (110/tcp) and IMAP (143/tcp) are generally two more options that a recipient has to read their email from their mail server. Historically people tend to use POP3 when they want to download their email from the server and store it on their computer before reading it with their mail program, while IMAP has been used when they want to keep their email stored on their mail server and/or share access to the email account across multiple devices.