Yahoo Plus keeps POP-forwarding thousands of old e-mails to my Outlook 2007!?

jprwt

New Email
My issue is that periodically Yahoo tries to re-send to my Outlook 2007 literally thousands of old e-mails, going back years. This seems to happen every few months, or whenever I change my Yahoo password. These duplicate messages had been previously POP-forwarded to my Outlook 2007, so I do not need to have them re-sent every few months. When I was once able to receive an e-mail response from someone at Yahoo that was not simply a form letter, I was told that this uncontrolled POP-forwarding sometimes occurs when Yahoo switches customer data from one server to another. The redundant transmission of old e-mails (thousands of them at a time) every few months clogs up my Outlook inbox, slows down my computer, wastes my time and is an aggravating nuisance that no e-mail provider should ever inflict on its customers. I do not wish to delete these old messages from Yahoo's servers, as the ability to maintain an inexpensive online backup of them is the ONLY reason that I stay with Yahoo. Any idea on how I can get Yahoo to stop doing this? I am open to all suggestions. Is anyone else having this problem, and what did Yahoo do about it?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

POP3 does not support "only download messages newer than X days"

Some mail services might have built in way to work around the issue such as Gmail's "archive after pop3" setting which moves email out of the inbox and saves it permanently.

Can you move the old email from your Yahoo inbox to a Yahoo folder?

An advanced mail filter in your Outlook that files email received more than 30 days ago into a folder instead of your inbox should at least help to help your inbox clean the next time the problem repeats.

Instead of leaving a copy of mail on the Yahoo servers you can download the email permanently, save to an outlook folder, then export/save the PST file as your permanent archive. You'd want to save that file in one or two places such as an external hard drive and/or backup your computer to the cloud.

Please let us know if any of these suggestions help to solve the problem.

:welcome: to Email Questions!

jprwt

New Email
Thank you for the reply. Since posting my question, I heard back from Yahoo and they proposed something very similar to what you are suggesting. Please take a look at what they wrote and tell me if this is correct:

Thank you for being a Yahoo! user since 2000. We appreciate you choosing to use Yahoo! and truly hope you continue to use Mail, Finance and Answers as you have been.

I understand your email client is retrieving duplicate copies of emails from your Yahoo! Mail account. I want to apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused you. I assure you that I will do what I can to help resolve your issue.

I have applied a fix to your account which should resolve this. The fix that I applied will cause you to re-download your messages one more time. To prevent this, please log in to your account via the Web and then create a folder.

After creating the folder, just move all of the messages that you do not want to re-download from your Inbox to this newly created folder. This will ensure that only the remaining Inbox messages are re-downloaded.

If you continue to experience the situation or if we can help with another matter, please let us know by replying to this email.

Please describe the issue you're having in as much detail as possible including any steps you took leading up to it, how frequently it occurs, and the exact text of any error messages you receive. That information will help.

Additional information on this, and other Yahoo! products, can be found on the Yahoo! help page.

If you have any further concerns regarding this issue, please let me know and I will be happy to assist you.

Thanks,

Yahoo! Customer Care

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, they proposed the "move old email from your inbox to a folder" option.

The reasoning behind that is pop3 only downloads mail from your inbox.

jprwt

New Email
Can you please explain, step-by-step, how I would go about moving the approximately 15,000 messages that are now stored in my Yahoo inbox to a separate folder? I really appreciate your taking the time to address my issues!

jprwt

New Email
That looks much easier than I thought it would be. Before I go ahead and put all my messages into a single folder as you have recommended, do you know of any way to direct-transfer mail from one provider to another? I am seriously considering switching to gmail. In your honest opinion, is their service any better than Yahoo's? For example, is gmail more reliable, easier to use, with better customer support, etc.? Among other things, I really hate the lag time between when I click on a Yahoo e-mail and when it opens. Though I have quite fast Internet service and do not have this problem elsewhere (such as when doing online banking and gaming), sometimes it takes a minute or more for their servers to respond to my request to open, close, edit and delete messages. I am fed up with Yahoo's lousy service and the fact that these redundant transmissions keep re-occuring every few months, however I like the idea of keeping all my old e-mails in yet another secure location (in addition to their being backed up on my PC and stored online by Norton). It would be great if there were a way to direct-transfer all my e-mails currently stored on Yahoo's servers over to Google's gmail servers. Your thoughts on this subject would be most appreciated!