Yahoo business email

Abdul Aleem

New Email
I am posting my technical problem on this forum in the hope I can get help resolving what seems to be a somewhat unusual problem. I’ve been searching the net for months, I can't seem to find anyone with a similar problem.

I’ve been using Yahoo Business email for 10 years. I access my emails through Windows Live Mail and on my iphone. Few months ago I was travelling and for added security started using Hotspot Shield. When I got back home (to the United Arab Emirates) the Yahoo Business Mail server started preventing WLM from accessing it. On clicking “Send/Receive” it gets stuck on “Authorizing” then I get an error message to re-enter my user name or password... which is obviously not the case. On clicking “Details” I get this

Server Error: 0x800CCC90
Server Response: -ERR [IN-USE] maildrop busy.
Server: 'pop.bizmail.yahoo.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC92
Protocol: POP3
Port: 995
Secure(SSL): Yes

What is strange, though, is that I can continue to log into my account from the web from any location but not via WLM. Access from the iphone also stopped. Every day in the office I had to struggle with this issue and change my password several times a day for it to work. After a month or so, WLM started working from the office and ONLY from the office. I cannot use WLM from home. The iphone downloads emails ONLY when I’m using the office wifi. It also does not work when using the home wifi or iphone data package outdoors.

My theory is that the Yahoo Mail Server, after it was accessed from different “locations” via Hotspot Shield, became suspicious and now thinks that any access via an email client is fraudulent and blocks it. Why the access is blocked only taking place via an email client / smartphone, I don’t know. The only IP address it allows is the one from the office. Yet I can still access my account from anywhere directly through the web. For some strange reason, only email clients are not permitted (other than from the office of course).

I am no longer using Hotspot Shield and tried the “Preferred Locations” setting when I’m at home but to no avail. Yahoo tech support said they cannot override the security features of their system. It’s like they’re telling me you can only use WLM when you’re in the office... obviously something I am not happy with specially that I cannot access emails when I’m on the move through my phone.

I’m getting desperate. if there's anyone who can help or point me in the right direction, I'll be much obliged.

Thank you very much in advance.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
When you were making the changes did you also turn on Yahoo's 2 step login verification?

Sometimes Yahoo gets confused. Try these steps to remove WLM from you list of devices in Yahoo and then reconnect - Why does the Yahoo Mail App keep asking for my password? | Email Questions

It doesn't appear Yahoo offers IMAP for the bizmail accounts yet. I'm curious, if you don't mind checking, if you setup a second account in WLM can you use the server name imap.mail.yahoo.com port 993 + SSL with your account?

Abdul Aleem

New Email
When you were making the changes did you also turn on Yahoo's 2 step login verification?

Sometimes Yahoo gets confused. Try these steps to remove WLM from you list of devices in Yahoo and then reconnect - Why does the Yahoo Mail App keep asking for my password? | Email Questions

It doesn't appear Yahoo offers IMAP for the bizmail accounts yet. I'm curious, if you don't mind checking, if you setup a second account in WLM can you use the server name imap.mail.yahoo.com port 993 + SSL with your account?

Thank you for the advice, popowich. To answer your first question, no, I do not have the 2-step login verification turned on. In attempting to remove WLM from my list of devices, as you suggested, I got a different Yahoo menu than the one shown in the link you had posted. Maybe I have a different version of Yahoo Mail? Under "Account Info" there is a tab that says "Account Security". In the Account Security page there's only 4 links: Change Password, Phone Numbers, Email Address and Two-Step Verification. That's it. As for setting up a new WLM email with imap, I will certainly try that when I get home. I need to try this in a location where WLM doesn't work. I will let you know of the outcome. Cheer

Abdul Aleem

New Email
Hi. Okay, I tried setting up another email account on WLM with imap settings but it didn't work. You are right. I got an error message that read "The host imap.mail.yahoo.com could not be found. Please verify that you have entered correctly" even though the Yahoo help page clearly says that these are the imap settings for yahoo business email. So I'm guessing my best option is to dump Yahoo and find another provider for hosting email.