Windows Live Mail won't open.

Gozoman

New Email
I'm running a Sony Vaio laptop with Windows 7. When I tried to open Windows Live Mail today it wouldn't open and I got the following message.

Windows Live Mail could not be opened. It may not be installed correctly. Make sure that your disk is not full or that you are not out of memory. (0x80040154)

When I go to the search box and type in 'Windows Live Essentials' I get 'Control Panel (1) Go online to get Windows Live Essentials. That just takes me to a page that states; Windows Essentials 2012 suite reached end of support on January 10, 2017

I have also found that I can't open any of my word documents because it keeps saying there is a problem with the normal doc or something. On top of that I have no System Restore points.

Am I screwed here?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Did you try a reboot? I don't have a Windows 7 anymore to test on. That could fix any memory problems related to having too many other programs running.

Do you have the latest version of Windows Essentials?

For the free disk space, please go to file explorer and right click -> properties your C: drive. How much free space do you have?

For your office documents, Open Office is free and has worked great for me for years - Download Apache OpenOffice

If you're not using it already, Secunia PSI can help get programs updated. Check Windows Add/Remove programs to remove applications you don't use anymore.

Last edited:

Gozoman

New Email
Sorry for the late reply but I just have to log in occasionally to see if anyone has responded due to not having email.

Have rebooted several times but no difference.

It's a 320GB drive and I have 45.7GB free. Didn't think I had used that much to be honest. Maybe CC Cleaner would be a good idea as I have it.

I just fell in with the Office 7 disc and I know I have the Windows 7 disc somewhere. Could I use those to run a repair rather than a full install? Also I have a reserved space on E drive which I thought was a full rescue backup of what was on the computer when I got it but I have no idea how to use it.

As I said above when I go to the search box and type in 'Windows Essentials' I get 'Control Panel (1) Go online to get Windows Essentials which is not much use as it's no longer supported.

I think my main worry at the moment is finding some way of saving my email contacts in case I have to do a reinstall of Live Mail or indeed switch to a different program. Any idea where that information would be stored and is there any way I can get to it given that Live Mail won't open?

Thanks for the reply by the way. Much appreciated.