Windows Live Mail 2011 address book editing

telboy1938

New Email
Firstly let me say I am a Dummie so appreciate plain English please. As I am now fully retired I want to reduce the 400+ email addresses ( acquired due to my work) down to around 40. I have tried many ways without success. Mostly I am greeted with a "greyed" out Delete option. Your help will be much appreciated. I wonder if it is in order for whoever can help to direct me to where the solution is posted (possibly via my email address) as this is my first visit to this site. Thanks. Telboy.

THERESA

Customer Service
First select "contacts" on the bottom left

contacts.png

Then right click on the contact that you want to delete and use the drop down selection to choose "delete contact" at the bottom.
delete contacts.jpg

telboy1938

New Email
Thank you but many of the addresses have the "Delete" greyed out. How can I delete these messages please? At present I have over 400 addresses of which 40 / 50 are required the others were needed prior to my retirement. Again, my thanks. Tel

THERESA

Customer Service
When you right click as in the example picture above it's greyed out? (or are you going about it a different way?)

Your original post said you wanted to whittle your address book. The above post mentions deleting messages. (did you mistakenly say messages when you meant contacts?)

I also understand that it will be a monumental task since I can't find an option to delete more than one at a time. It will be time consuming for sure. Maybe just do a handful a day to keep it manageable. If you aren't attached to the email address, you could always start a new one and just make sure that you email the people you want to keep in touch with that you have changed your email address.

If you need help with anything else, let me know.

telboy1938

New Email
HI, You are quite right, I did mean "contacts" and not messages. Since last contacting you I have upgraded to Windows Live Mail 2012 but the results are the same therefore I have begun the painful task of "one by one" deletion. I commence 3 days ago and I am alphabetically down to "S" so I am getting there. I would have thought Microsoft could have constructed a better system. Anyhow, thanks you for your help. Regards. Tel

THERESA

Customer Service
Unfortunately, that was the only option I could find also. (delete one by one) If you think about it though, most people don't delete several email contacts at once. I understand in your case why you are, but most times people would only delete one if the address had changed etc. It's a much more useful feature for all users to be able to delete multiple emails rather than multiple contacts.

Good luck!!