Why is Yahoo Mail asking permission to turn on my microphone without telling me?

hawgowar

New Email
When I try to update Yahoo Mail for Android, I get a permission window telling me that if I update, I have to allow the Yahoo Mail app to turn on my microphone without my permission and without telling me it is doing so. Why is that? Why is Yahoo Mail trying to become a spy?

Minerbob

New Email
Yahoo for some long time has been very untrustworthy, crooked. Google is even worse. The internet is moving fast in that direction. Google uses very dishonest tricks to get your phone number to sell to its "affiliates" so that these "affiliates" can bug you with sales calls. Mail.com (has several names including but not limited to email.com, gmx.com will force you to buy their premium service to be able to receive emails send POP, which is most of them. "Let the buyer beware!!!!!"

hawgowar

New Email
Thanks. I was hoping one of the Yahoo official personnel would come here and answer that. If they don't it must be nefarious. :thanks:

Google keeps asking me for my cell to "back up" my password and username. I don't fall for that. If a company forces me to use a number, I use one of the numbers to the Consumer Internet Fraud Division of the FBI.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I strongly recommend adding your cell phone number to free email service account settings.

If your account is ever compromised that's one of the ways to help recover your account.

There are limited support options for free email accounts.

Don't make the situation worse if your account is ever hacked by not configuring the recovery settings that are available to you if you want to use services such as Gmail and Yahoo.

hawgowar

New Email
Thanks for the concern, but I am 63, I only use email for family and friends and of course to receive large volumes of SPAM. If compromised, so what? I'll open another account.

OBTW, do YOU have any idea why Yahoo wants to open the microphone on my android phone and tablet without my permission and without telling me it is doing so?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
The only reason it would be asking is for some voice related feature within the app.

It looks like Yahoo Mail on Android supports voice activated search.

If you have the option, and don't care about that feature, feel free to not give Yahoo Mail that permission.