Why do you make more than one email account?

THERESA

Customer Service
Some people have several email accounts. Why do you have more than one? How many do you have?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
The accounts I have are mostly active because they are required or associated with another service.

Required = Primary email address (Gmail) and my work email address.

Associated with other services = Yahoo and Hotmail email accounts

Anything that I need to get done, including giving out primary email address, or an address just needed to receive a confirmation email (Yahoo) or spam (Hotmail) can be handled from the above accounts.

The exception to the above is when I am looking for examples of or learn of an interesting feature being offered by another email service. Maybe I'm trying to figure out the best way to do something. Maybe I'm looking to see how others are doing something. Maybe I heard of a nifty feature and my curiosity leads me to creating the account and trying out the service.

foggy

Valued Member
Well, in my case I have a small number of accounts, most of which I started just because the domain name sounded neat or I liked some feature. Or I might have started one to be used for family/friends, another one for sign-ups (message boards, etc.), another for online shopping, another strictly for back-up, etc. But sometimes I change which account I use for what. Then also every so often I prune my list of accounts down to just a few. Call it Spring cleaning. This chaotic behavior is a direct result of my emailophilia. :rolleyes:

As things stand now, I have accounts at five providers: Hushmail, MyOpera, Yandex, EuMX and Runbox.

I have Yandex just for fun and to find out what it's like. Multiple accounts that I have at Hushmail are for back-up of important emails. EuMX is a free account offered to EMD members, which I use mainly for general back-up. MyOpera was my main account (nice, blazingly fast interface !), but I have moved my main email to Runbox. It's a pay-only service, but I got two years of the lowest level at half price ! I frankly prefer the peace of mind that I have in knowing that Runbox: 1) is very privacy conscious, 2) is located in Norway with strong privacy laws, and 3) has a very responsive customer support team, who address problems very quickly and courteously — unlike Gmail, Yahoo, etc. where you might have to wait for a very long time before getting customer support (if you get any at all). And in case my account were to be hacked, since they have my CC on file (and IP address, etc.), I'm sure it would not be difficult to get my account back — again, unlike the nightmare of account recovery one must go through with Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.

curvefan

Valued Member
Like the guy on Cajun Pawn Stars, I would be classified as a repurposer of email accounts.:D

Actually, I have way too much time on my hands and sort of got addicted to trying out email services.

Then I found EMD and this great site as well, and they just furthered my addiction.:D

I have way too many accounts and I'm in the process of downsizing, but it's not easy cutting the cord.

Is there such a thing as email withdrawal? Gosh, I hope not.

Keep telling myself: Baby steps..............

THERESA

Customer Service
I have two emails that I use (Thunderbird and yahoo) Thunderbird is important and yahoo is for companies that I feel may end up sending me spam. I also have a few test accounts for email questions but I don't use those for personal emails.

akashnemani

New Email
I have two emails that I use (Thunderbird and yahoo) Thunderbird is important and yahoo is for companies that I feel may end up sending me spam. I also have a few test accounts for email questions but I don't use those for personal emails.

What do you mean by Thunderbird email account? I believe you meant thunderbird client but the email account must be hosted somewhere else.