why do my own emails go into spam?

fearmydesign

Valued Member
Hi, I created a new email account in my server (Linux) for someone that works with me, when he sent me an email it automatically landed in my outlook spam box, why does this happen? Now I am curious to know if my outgoing emails are also landing into my recipients spam box. Any suggestions as to what I can check for? Verizon is the provider of my internet service and the IP address for my server.

Last edited by a moderator:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Rod,

Is the IP address of your server on any blacklists?

Check here : Email Blacklist Check - See if your server is blacklisted

What is the domain? Does it have an SPF policy set that doesn't include the Verizon smtp relays?

You can send a test to me we'll take a look and see if we notice any other issues with the associated domains or IP addresses.

Last edited:

fearmydesign

Valued Member
Raymond, thank you for your response. I sent an email to the email address provided. I also checked the blacklist link you provided and the status is OK. The domain is ileansolutions.com

Does it have an SPF policy set that doesn't include the Verizon smtp relays?
This I have no idea what you mean, sorry. Maybe you can help me understand.

Thank you
Regards

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I don't see any major problems with the email that you sent me.

It's not an SPF issue. For more info on SPF see this site : SPF: Project Overview

You have matching forward and reverse DNS for your IP address 71.246.249.163, and Verizon lists it as static in their naming scheme which is good, but it would be best if you had a custom PTR record.

Is your connection a business connection or a residential connection? Will Verizon let you have a custom PTR such as mail.ileansolutions.com instead of static-71-246-249-163.washdc.fios.verizon.net.?

Have you tried configuring your mail server to relay outgoing email out through the Verizon SMTP relays?

If you send a regular email (try to give it some good content, not just the word test) to a Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo account so they go through OK or land in those providers junk email folders?

How long has your IP address been sending email? If it's a new sender it's possible it just needs some time to develop a good sender reputation.

fearmydesign

Valued Member
Once again, thank you for your response. The IP has been up for about 13 months already. I will look into PTR record, not sure what this is. I will also try and send emails to gmail, yahoo hotmail and others.

Have you tried configuring your mail server to relay outgoing email out through the Verizon SMTP relays?
What would the advantage be for doing this?

Finally, yes, it is a business connection.

Regards,

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
What would the advantage be for doing this?
Finally, yes, it is a business connection.

If it's a business connection they they should be able to setup proper matching forward and reverse DNS for your mail server. That should help you a little more with getting into the inbox of major ISP's. It's can't hurt.

As for using Verizon's SMTP relays that was more a suggestion if you did not have a business connection or have a new connection.

Back to the original original Outlook question.

• Go to your Junk email folder
  • Right click the message from the person you work with
  • Under Junk Email select Mark as Not Junk
Have them send you some more email. Does training outlook help to fix the original problem? It's possible it's just the outlook filters and the going to junk has nothing to do with the setup or reputation of your mail server.

fearmydesign

Valued Member
Thank you, but...

If it's a business connection they they should be able to setup proper matching forward and reverse DNS for your mail server. That should help you a little more with getting into the inbox of major ISP's. It's can't hurt.

How do I word this when I call Verizon so they understand what I need them to do? Their tech support and account admins are a disaster and hardly get things right!

Also, does purchasing an SSL for a specific domain help at all? so if I bought an SSL for ileansolutions.com, would that make a difference? or could I buy an SSL for mail.ileansolutions.com? just a thought! thanks

Regards :siterock:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Open a Technical Support -> DNS Change Request ticket

"Please update the reverse DNS for 71.246.249.163 and change it from static-71-246-249-163.washdc.fios.verizon.net to mail.ileansolutions.com"

It's also best that mail.ileansolutions.com be an A record not a CNAME.

Like I said earlier though. it's probably not a fix for this specific problem, but it should help the IP reputation for your mail server generally speaking.

fearmydesign

Valued Member
Like I said earlier though. it's probably not a fix for this specific problem, but it should help the IP reputation for your mail server generally speaking.

Raymond, with the above quote, were you refering to having an SSL for the IP?

I went ahead and changed the mail record from CNAME to an A record on my WHM Linux.

I'll keep an eye on this, but it seems to be working. I haven't submitted the request to Verizon yet as it is impossible to get through to anybody without wasting 45 minutes with the automated system, and their website is so complicated, I can't find a way to submit a ticket.

I opened up a new email account on the server and it actually landed on my inbox. I'll keep you posted, now I need to start a new thread about a Windows server problem.

Thank you for all your help

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
You don't need to get an SSL certificate unless you are doing web transactions where you are collecting sensitive information such as credit card numbers into a shopping cart checkout page.