Which Service Is Denying Relaying? - relaying denied 550 5.7.1 - uninets.net

iamjim

New Email
I have a utility that sends email. It works properly when at home, but it gives a "relaying denied 550 5.7.1" error at another location (another service/isp). In both cases I am using the same SMTP and it's not the service I am logged onto in either case.

It the service I'm logged onto denying relaying or is it the SMTP server? Each service says it's the other so I can't get either one to help solve the problem.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Re: Which Service Is Denying Relaying? - relaying denied 550 5.7.1

Hi Jim,

Since you are getting a relay denied error message I'd suspect the ISP who owns the mail server.

What is the name of the server in the outgoing smtp mail server setting of the mail program?

What ISP are you connected to when you get the relaying denied error?

-Raymond

iamjim

New Email

Thanks for your reply. My home ISP is Comcast. The ISP where it fails is a small local outfit called uninets.net. The target SMTP outfit is my webhost.

So, if it's my webhost why, since it's the same server, does it work at my house and not at the other location?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member

Hello,

There could be a wide variety of reasons ranging from the ISP your are coming from to them blocking the content of the emails.

Does the web hosting provider that you are using provide an authentication mechanism such as smtp-auth?

If you authenticate before trying to relay you should be able to send no matter which connection you are using at the time.

Instead of contacting the web hosting provider you may be best off using Comcast's smtp server with smtp auth on port 587:

http://www.emailquestions.com/e-mai...cast-incoming-outgoing-mail-server-names.html

-Raymond

iamjim

New Email

Hello,
Instead of contacting the web hosting provider you may be best off using Comcast's smtp server with smtp auth on port 587:

It works when sending from a Comcast connection. It is the other ISP it doesn't work on.

If you are suggesting I use the Comcast SMTP, that doesn't work at all. That's why I am using my webhost.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member

What error message do you get from Comcast?

I'd expect that server to have the best results for you from any connection.

-Raymond

iamjim

New Email

What error message do you get from Comcast?

I'd expect that server to have the best results for you from any connection.

I no longer remember. I set this up a long time ago. This is a free utility and it has no provision for encryption or port change. It uses Port 25 and provides for SMTP server, Username, Password and email addresses -- that's it.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member

I see. For Comcast you would need to change the port for it to work.

For your web hosting provider can you send any emails? Do you get some reasonable limit out (50,100?) before you get blocked? I checked their web site and they don't seem to have much of anything for online documentation.

I gave uninets.net a quick call at this point. :)

From uninets.net technical support the response was that they are not aware of any number of messages limit, but that they would not be surprised if it existed. To relay through the server from off network (Comcast) configure smtp-auth and use port 25. You do not need to use an alternate port for their smtp-auth service.

I think this is where you are running into trouble since Comcast blocks outbound port 25. You need an SMTP server which does smtp-auth on an alternate port such as 587 so you can connect from anywhere, but your software is lmiting you to port 25.

If you do not want to change software, from what I can tell you will need to change your SMTP server settings to match the internet connection you are using when trynig to send the mailing lists.

-Raymond

iamjim

New Email

If you do not want to change software, from what I can tell you will need to change your SMTP server settings to match the internet connection you are using when trynig to send the mailing lists.

If you mean change to uninets.net SMTP. I tried that originally and got authentication errors.

iamjim

New Email
I'm not sending to a mailing list. Only a single message at a time and always to the same addressee. I send very few messages -- maybe 15 a week.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I think I misunderstood one of the above posts.

What is the smtp server name that you are trying to relay through?

-Raymond

iamjim

New Email
I think I misunderstood one of the above posts.

What is the smtp server name that you are trying to relay through?

I am not sure I understand what relay means in this context. When the send is failing I am logged onto uninets.net. But, I am trying to use the SMTP at my webhost. The server name is my personal domain name at my webhost and I prefer not to post it.