Which is the best virus software?

Which windows anti-virus programs do you use?

• Avast

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • AVG

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • ClamWin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F-Prot

• Kaspersky

• McAfee

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Norton

• other, please explain

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

The free subscription for my McAfee Security Center software expired a few days ago. I'm not going to pay $45 to have it renewed. What free products are you using on your PC to protect yourself from e-mail viruses? I have used the free version of AVG in the past and it worked well for me too, or at least it did not cause me any problems. What other anti-virus software have you used and been satisfied with?

Last edited:

yukon

Valued Member
a few months ago I switched from AVG to Avast!. I originally went with AVG because at the time they were the only viable option for a non-corp user running a 64bit windows. Since the release of Vista, more and more people are rebuilding their code for 64bit, and its less of a hassle to run Xp64 and more of a joy as my primary home OS.

Back to the topic at hand . . . I noticed when I switched to Avast! the system resources tied up by my av program reduced drastically. Also of note, Avast! is always a free product for the home user, so you don't have to worry about features you may want being locked as you do in the free version of AVG.

yukon

Valued Member
on a side note, I like and agree with companies like grisoft and whoever publishes avg stance on Av software. It should be free for the home user . . . most bad stuff is propagated via ignorant home users who really don't know they are part of the problem. Charge out the ying yang to corporations, have them foot the entire bill. IF a home user loses data they'll be pissed, heart broken, etc. If a business loses data they can be out of business. Symantec, McAfee, others . . . you should not target your 40-50 dollar packages to the little guy. You should give it to them for free, and really try to make a difference on "the net."

THERESA

Customer Service
At work they use AVG. At home, the McAfee expired as Ray said so on to whatever he chooses. :)

Last edited:

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
Like Yukon I'm an ex-AVG user. When AVG released their latest version with that bull-honkey toolbar forced on you that kept crashing Firefox everytime I searched with Google. I switched to Avast and couldn't be happier nice small footprint and has caught a few things too.

Raven

Valued Member
I been using this because its free with Comcast.

Hello,

The free subscription for my McAfee Security Center software expired a few days ago. I'm going to pay $45 to have it renewed. What free products are you using on your PC to protect yourself from e-mail viruses? I have used the free version of AVG in the past and it worked well for me too, or at least it did not cause me any problems. What other anti-virus software have you used and been satisfied with?

-Raymond

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Interesting. The avast! scanner found and deleted a virus called win32:Trojan-gen during a full scan after my first reboot.

Last edited:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I noticed when I switched to Avast! the system resources tied up by my av program reduced drastically.

It's about 80MB for me. My Firefox3 uses 250MB+.

I'm going to need a bump from 1GB to 2GB soon... jeezz.

Last edited:

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
I also like Avast's audio notifactions. For instance when it auto updates you will hear "Virus Database Has Been Updated" and when it finds a virus or detects one being downloaded you will hear a siren and a cop like voice saying "Virus Detected". I know it doesn't add to the core of the program, it's a just a neat thing, IHMO.

Winterworks

New Email
Re: Which anti-virus software do you use?

I used to use Norton, which really, in my opinion isn't that great. It updates and scans all the time.

I currently use AVG, it's a great anti-virus system, and when it does an update or scan, it doesn't open a load of pop-ups in your face.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member

When did Windows start recognizing Avast as an official virus product?

I'm fairly certain when my McAfee license ran out neither AVG or Avast were detected in the Windows Security Center.

Widnows Anti-Virus.JPG

Last edited:

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator

When did Windows start recognizing Avast as an official virus product?

I'm fairly certain when my McAfee license ran out neither AVG or Avast were detected in the Windows Security Center.

View attachment 96

It's always recognized Avast for me both on XP and Vista. Maybe you had to uninstall McAfee to get it recognize a new AV program?

Beetlenut

New Email

Been using Trend Micro's PC-cillin Internet security for about 4-years.
Doesn't seem to be a resource hog & works well for me.

yukon

Valued Member

I've switched one of my machines Avira at home. It's been running about a month and to be honest I'm still unsure how I like it ...

Avira AntiVir Personal - FREE Antivirus

usually once or twice a day there is an add popup when it auto-updates, its really quite annoying. Even when playing a game, it minimizes the game and throws me this damned pop up. No, I haven't really cared enough to look into it further and see about switching the popup off. I switched because according to an issue a couple of months ago of MaximumPC it was rated much much better than the other freebies I had been running (Avast! and earlier AVG).

The link is above, if anyone wants to give it a shot, I'd be happy to hear your opinions as well.

C138 Kaysone

New Email

Currently im using AVG and avast, theyre good but avast sometimes pop up with annoying messages all the time. just need a better protection software