Which email services encrypt metadata?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Which email services encrypt all metadata?

In addition to encrypting an email message body, encrypted metadata includes encrypting the other fields such as Subject: To: and From: for all email both from within the system and unencrypted email from 3rd party systems such as Gmail.

As far as I'm aware, at this time, @SCRYPTmail is the only email service that meets this requirement.

If there are others, please share them in this discussion.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
The half moon on the comparison chart indicates that some but not all metadata is encrypted.

compleo

Valued Member
In addition to encrypting an email message body, encrypted metadata includes encrypting the other fields such as Subject: To: and From: for all email both from within the system and unencrypted email from 3rd party systems such as Gmail.

I presume this encrypted metadata includes the e mail header.

I'm not concerned if someone reads my message,"i tried the new restaurant the other night",not that i condone privacy violations.I highly doubt anyone is sending sensitive info,such as bank account numbers,SS# etc.

I feel that the metadata needs the protection since this info has the potential for creating a profile which can yield ID theft.

Lets say i opt out of sending mail encryption,is the metadata still encrypted?

Last edited:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Lets say i opt out of sending mail encryption,is the metadata still encrypted?

From what I've seen, I think it's fair to say protecting the message body has been the primary focus of some encrypted email services, and that encrypting & not tracking the meta data has been lesser of a priority.

compleo

Valued Member
From what I've seen, I think it's fair to say protecting the message body has been the primary focus of some encrypted email services, and that encrypting & not tracking the meta data has been lesser of a priority.

That's what i figured,i feel the message isn't very important.The metadata needs the attention since some web sites "scrape" for data mining,which includes but not limited to the address book/contacts which generates spam,builds a profile,creates an opportunity to breach someone's account etc.

compleo

Valued Member
Lets use Scrypt as an example,in addition to the mailbox,it encrypts metadata,attachments & address book/contacts.

But,if the message is not encrypted none of the above mentioned will be encrypted.This doesn't make any sense,IMO the message is not a high priority to protect since the messages are basic everyday small talk.

What needs protection is the address book/contacts,attachments, metadata to prevent the data miners & avoid a profile being created.

compleo

Valued Member
The half moon on the comparison chart indicates that some but not all metadata is encrypted.

It would be nice if the e mail provider would elaborate as to which parts of the metadata is encrypted.

What exactly does the metadata include,to & from field,headers etc?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
You should be able to find this information on their support sites, or open a support ticket with them and ask if it's not posted publicly.

compleo

Valued Member
Which email services encrypt all metadata?

As far as I'm aware, at this time, @SCRYPTmail is the only email service that meets this requirement.

If there are others, please share them in this discussion.

According to Tutanota web site.

Tutanota automatically encrypts all your data on your device. Your emails as well as your contacts stay private. You can easily communicate with any of your friends end-to-end encrypted. Even subject and attachments are encrypted.

I don't see this on the chart,how can one confirm this?

unencrypted email from 3rd party systems such as Gmail.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I don't see this on the chart,how can one confirm this?

I believe a statement like that would be related to data stored within their app if you're using it on your mobile device.

I don't believe it's a statement about all email and metadata on their servers and if you're only using their webmail interface.

@Tutanota can you help clarify?

compleo

Valued Member
You should be able to find this information on their support sites, or open a support ticket with them and ask if it's not posted publicly.

I found this on Tutanota web site.

We encrypt all your data (contacts, emails). We encrypt subject, content and attachments.

We can read the following only (metadata):
sender
recipient
date of the email
We are looking into possibilities to hide the metadata in the future as well.

What i'm trying to understand is what exactly does metadata include,attachments & address book/contacts are not included in metadata.

I also read this on the web site.

We already encrypt the subject and strip ip addresses from emails

The way i read it is that metadata includes ip stripping,subject to & from,date of e mail,anything else?

If i decide to send an e mail that's not encrypted will attachments,metadata & address book/contacts still be encrypted.

Last edited:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
What i'm trying to understand is what exactly does metadata include

It's a clue that let's anyone with access (or a successful legal request) find out who is emailing each other.

The email contents would be unknown, but they'd know you're sending to a b c and receiving from x y z.

to & from,date of e mail,anything else?

Backwards, it's letting you know that To: and From: are not encrypted.

Last edited:

compleo

Valued Member
It's a clue that let's anyone with access (or a successful legal request) find out who is emailing each other.

The email contents would be unknown, but they'd know your sending to a b c and receiving from x y z.

Whether encrypted or not,parts of the e mail are attachment,message box & address book/contacts.

So whats left,the header so this must be the metadata?