What's with Yahoo! email?

mtlay

New Email
:confused:Yahoo email: It stopped working on my smartphone. When I try to send a message, I get a notification saying that yahoo is "unable to send mail. The account setting is incorrect." It then prompts me to enter my user name and verify the protocol, address, user name, password, IMAP server, security type, and server port. (I don't know what half of that is.) After entering my correct user name and password, it tells me "Authentication failed. please verify your user name and password." I called Yahoo! Customer Support (866-562-7219, by the way), and they said I'd have to fax the following to their Account Security Team:

Full Name
email address
copy of a state or federal issued photo ID
user name
statement of permission for Yahoo to enter my account
Date of Birth
zip code and country of residence

Does this sound legitimate? I was waiting for them to ask for my bank account numbers. How do I get this fixed, short of using optonline.net or gmail? (Also, I think you need angrier "smilies". :mad: isn't strong enough, although :hammer: would be good, if he was hitting an HTC Evo!)

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, that is information that a Yahoo member can expect to be asked for by Yahoo.

It's similar to the information from our hacked Yahoo accounts discussion here :

http://www.emailquestions.com/yahoo...t-password-regain-control-hacked-account.html

You should never reply to an unsolicited email asking for passwords, etc, but while trying to get your account back it's Yahoo's procedure to ask for a copy of your drivers license to help verify your identity.

:welcome: to Email Questions!

mtlay

New Email
Thanks, popowich. Are you aware of currently ongoing Yahoo! mail issues, or does it sound like my situation is an isolated incident? I figure it's going to be a pain to get it fixed, but at least I'm probably not getting hacked.

:thanks:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

No, I'm not aware of any Yahoo issues.

If they are asking for you to verify your identity it sounds like your account may have been compromised.

-Ray

mtlay

New Email
Thanks for all your help. It actually seems to be fixed now. I logged into it from a desktop, rather than my phone, and it asked me to reset my password, since it seemed to have been breached. I did, and it worked. Then I deleted it off my phone and reinstalled it, and it seems to be working. Thanks again.

:thanks::siterock::D