What is your favorite email program?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

What is your favorite mail program? Which operating system do you have?

We have to use Microsoft Outlook at work. I am also able to use PINE.

On my home computer, when I'm not in my Gmail, my favorite program for testings accounts is Mozilla Thunderbird.

Now that I've mentioned it, I do have email configured on my iPhone, but I don't check it much from my phone.

foggy

Valued Member
For offline stuff I use the Outlook 2007 client that the guy who built my computer for me installed. I don't need all the bells and whistles, but I really like the ones I do use (categories, editing subject and/or message of incoming mail, etc.).

For online stuff, I've reduced my email accounts to those with FastMail, EuMX.net and Runbox so only use those 'clients.'

FM has old-style and new interfaces, both of which are fast and easy to use.

EuMX has SquirrelMail, RoundCube, OpenWebMail, GroupOffice and Horde !! I prefer Horde (only the most recent version; hated the previous ones). Horde 5 is a nice suite (calendar, notes, etc.).

Runbox is okay for reading, but I don't much care for their compose editor.

Overall I spend my time between Outlook, FM's new ajax interface, and Horde (EuMX).

servermx

servermx.com
It has as many features as "Mozilla Thunderbird but is faster and it requires less hardware resources.

loopygram

New Email
I use Incredimail and have for many years. I like it for what it is. I am in many yahoo groups for sharing of stationery and animations etc for Incredimail. If I wasn't in those groups I would like start a search for other ones.

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
The Android Gmail App. The interface is so compressed that it makes its super easy for me to triage messages before I even get out of bed in the morning.

My inbox is basically my to-do list. Before my feet hit the floor I've already archived automatic notifications I don't need to read, starred client emails that need a response ASAP, and left things I need to read later unread.

Secondary to the Gmail App on Android, The Outlook app on Android is great for sending myself reminders of stuff to do my Gmail.

On the desktop I have little need for a mail client since I'm Gmail-centric and it's always in a pinned tab. I do use a client to poll multiple Gmail accounts but don't need to on a daily basis as they're secondary accounts.

Thunderbird is my favorite on the desktop. I'm currently using Outlook only because I pay for Office 365 and feel like I should get use out of the apps. I plan on switching back to Thunderbird shortly though as Outlook is just a beast plus Thunderbird has Google Calender and Task sync with add-ons.

bburg

Valued Member
Only use webmail. Besides Outlook.com, which I'm using mainly for private email, calendar and contacts (syncing to my Windows Phone), my favourite at the moment is Hushmail. It's a Gmail-like interface, fast and simple. I don't need all the bells and whistles of for instance FastMail, however their new interface is kinda cool and fast. At this moment I have ('sleeping') accounts with FastMail, Tuffmail, EuMX and Hushmail

foggy

Valued Member
Just curious... What makes Hushmail your favorite at the moment -- its privacy oriented policy and features or something else? Also, do you have the premium version or the free 25mb account level?

bburg

Valued Member
Just curious... What makes Hushmail your favorite at the moment -- its privacy oriented policy and features or something else? Also, do you have the premium version or the free 25mb account level?
Privacy (policy) was not my most important consideration, but plays along of course.

I was looking for a simple and fast email service for one of my domains. I've already wrote that contacts and calendar, etc. is done by Outlook.com, thus I don't needed a service with calendar sync and an advanced address book.

What appealed me the most was the (new) web interface. I love the simple and clean look of the interface (honestly, I really sometimes miss old-school Squirrelmail :(). It reminds me of the first Gmail version. All modern interfaces, even Gmail and Outlook.com have become quite sluggish (except for FastMail), also probably because of all ads and trackers inside. Hushmail's interface is fast(!) and their mobile version is very workable on my Windows Phone.

Another pré is their (unlimited) aliases. OK, I can have these with my own domain (in combination with a catch-all) but these are anonymous.

As you see I have a business account (one user). Luckily, Hushmail regularly gave/gives discounts.

Latest news is that they also support filter/rules now.

bburg

Valued Member
That changed. Two years later I check my 3 most important email accounts from my iPhone too.

@bburg are you still using Hushmail or a different Encrypted Email Service Provider?
Sorry for the late reply.
Unfortunately, I had to give up Hushmail, mainly because there is no way to manage your own email domains. An example: you can't add an extra domain to a existing Hushmail account, only by opening a whole new (expensive) account. That is not what I expect a business account.

foggy

Valued Member
I would think that, with the introduction of services like Protonmail and Tutanota which boast free account storage amounts much higher than Hushmail, that Hushmail would do something about its abysmally small 25mb free account. Either increase the storage (100mb?) or add another premium level, like $15/yr with a reasonably good selection of features.

I'm sure a lot of longtime Hushmail users are still with them, but with these new, secure, private, much less expensive providers coming along, I wonder just how many new users Hushmail is going to acquire?

bburg

Valued Member
Did you move to a new service or waiting for something with reasonable pricing for the features you're looking for?
Back to Tuffmail for that specific domain. Will hope that Derek Ferguson is fixing the vulnerable state of his service soon. He said he would, he told me some time ago. Nevertheless, still have on spare a Pobox, Fastmail and EuMX account. ;)

bburg

Valued Member
Sorry for the late reply.
Unfortunately, I had to give up Hushmail, mainly because there is no way to manage your own email domains. An example: you can't add an extra domain to a existing Hushmail account, only by opening a whole new (expensive) account. That is not what I expect a business account.
Regretted. Back at Hushmail.