What is certified email?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

Certifying e-mail is when a company pays to be on a list of companies with a 3rd party that declare themselves to not be spammers. Their e-mail is then allowed to bypass many ISP spam filters. The certified e-mail service requires that they make a deposit up front. If they spam then they lose the deposit. The goal is to make it expensive for spammers to spam via certified e-mail and therefore not worth the effort to try and get around that service. A secondary goal is for you to have confidence that any certified e-mail that you receive is from who it says it is from, and that it is not a spam, virus, or phishing attempt.

-Raymond

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
That's pretty interesting. You got a line on any companies? How much does this cost is there a dispute process for when someone marks something as spam just because they didn't want it but not because it was spam, etc?

yukon

Valued Member
I think implementation wise the biggest problem is most people who could best benefit from receiving certified email don't realize what the certified mail is for ...

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
You got a line on any companies? /quote]

An example company is Welcome to Goodmail Systems' CertifiedEmail.net

I'll double check for this specific company, but typically there is a e-mail header added with an abuse reporting link.

A past problem with these types of services is that spammers would start adding fake headers to the mails to fake out spam filters into allowing spam as if it was certified.

-Raymond

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I think implementation wise the biggest problem is most people who could best benefit from receiving certified email don't realize what the certified mail is for ...

ISP's can built in this functionality automatically with content filtering programs such as SpamAssassin.

-Raymond