We can't receive email from 1 domain

prellis

New Email
So, we have a domain that we host on a VPS. We actually changed the MX records so we can use the domain through GMail. Which we check in Outlook. We've had emails running fine for 5 years. They send and receive perfectly. EXCEPT, there's one domain that we can receive emails from. They can receive emails from us, but we never get fresh emails or replies from them... It's not in our spam or junk. They don't get an undeliverable bounce back. It just never makes it. I believe this happened when we were not using GMail's servers as well. A couple years ago we used Outlook and our own MX records/servers for email.

This is a huge problem because the company we can't receive from is our mortgage company. We've called their IT department and they assure us that we are not being blocked and it's not on their end. We've called our VPS company and they assure us the same. We've actually been on TWO VPS's since this started, which further illustrates it's not the VPS's fault. Like I mentioned, I'm 99% sure this happened before we changed our MX records too. So I don't think Gmail is the problem. What else could it possibly be? We send and receive emails all day to various people with no reported issues except from this one company. We've made calls to tech support and they've checked to make sure the domains aren't blacklisted anywhere. We even white listed them on our previous server. Nothing has helped. The domain our emails are at is prellis.com... The one and only domain we can't receive emails from is prospectmtg.com. Like I mentioned, they can receive emails from prelliis.com... Prellis.com just can't receive from them... Ever. They can send to my personal email just fine. They email plenty of people to. They just don't get to prellis.com recipients... What could this possibly be?!? Thanks!

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi prellis,

This is a huge problem because the company we can't receive from is our mortgage company. We've called their IT department and they assure us that we are not being blocked and it's not on their end.

This issue is actually best troubleshooted from their end.

You need more information from them.

Please ask them to send you an email and then trace it from the sender through their outgoing mail servers.

What do the logs on their outgoing mail server say when sending to your domain?

Also, it's good to know if their outgoing mail is going through a 3rd party, or direct to your VPS, either way their logs will tell us what is happening and if needed we can continue to trace it from there.

:welcome: to Email Questions!

prellis

New Email
Hi Popwich... Previously employees never told us they got bounce backs... But... New info... Their IT person actually did indeed get a bounce back message when sending to us. I think the previous employees didn't know to look for such things... Hahah... This is what it said... "The following organization rejected your message: prellis.com."

So, it must be on our end. We've never blocked anyone. We've been on TWO different VPS's with different IP numbers that this has happened on with this particular domain. I called the company we purchased the domain through and they said it has nothing to do with them.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Am I missing something? You're mentioning VPS's but your MX records indicate your email is hosted by Google Apps:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
prellis.com. 43200 IN MX 1 ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.com.
prellis.com. 43200 IN MX 10 ASPMX2.GOOGLEMAIL.com.
prellis.com. 43200 IN MX 5 ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.com.
prellis.com. 43200 IN MX 10 ASPMX3.GOOGLEMAIL.com.
prellis.com. 43200 IN MX 5 ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.com.

prellis

New Email
Sorry, the website is hosted on a VPS. Which we've had 2 of in the past few years. We went into the VPS and changed our MX records so we could use gmail for everyone. We had some spam issues and that helped. Plus it's easy to organize users etc... We used to use the VPS with mail servers mail.prellis.com for a long time. I believe the problem still happened in that past scenario.