Visa Required

the

New Email
Hi...I have been a Hotmail user for over 10 years...but now when I want to check my email it wants my Visa number????

Do I have BUY an account now?

I just want my free one back.

the :hammer:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

No, you do not have to pay with a Visa for a free Hotmail account.

It sounds like you have some sort of spyware or other problem either intercepting you or getting you to a hack page.

Try a security scan and some of these tools and let us know what they find.

:welcome: to Email Questions!

the

New Email
Tried a couple of those tools, they found nothing...very clever Malware!

It does not even let me in to even try my password...I have to go into delete history to even get to the Hotmail password area...

...this what comes up???

"It looks like someone else might be using your account To help you—and only you—get back into realemail@hotmail not shown , we need to verify that it's yours."

Then it asks a lot of questions including revealing my Visa number special codes and the like...not doing that!!!

:hammer:

the

New Email
Try the steps found HERE to regain control of your account.

Hi I have tried those options before...I called the help line and they put me first to a techie then the techie transfered me me to billing as it was a Visa issue...they told me cause it is a free account there is NO tech support and directed me to this disclaimer...after spending 45 minutes on the phone

The Hotmail customer service phone number is 1.800.386.5550 When you contact Microsoft directly also include as many subject lines from your email account as possible.
Please keep in mind that there is no guarantee that Microsoft will be able to help you.
Please do not forget that it is best not to keep important information in any free e-mail account since there is no guaranteed support for free accounts.

THERESA

Customer Service
I can't believe he transferred you to billing knowing that was a scam that hackers/phishers were trying to do to you. He was just trying to make sure you weren't his problem anymore.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I meant does Microsoft bill you for anything, not do you use the Visa to pay other non-Microsoft related bills.

As long as you did not type your Visa card information to the page you should be OK.

the

New Email
Sooooooooooooooooooo...

I made a new hotmail account (free one) ...guess what when I tried to log in this moring it redirected me to to that dreaded block screen stating the account needed additional info...

Just can't figure out why the malware and security scans plus my own Norton scana can not find that chunk of code tied into that hot mail log in...it has to be in my machine cause the block screen page is not coming back from my online connection it is to immeadiate I live in a slow server area.

Wish I could crawl into the pooter and hit that chunk of code over the head!!!

:hammer:

THERESA

Customer Service
If you are having the same thing happen with a brand new account, then you definitely have some sort of malware or virus on your computer. If Norton isn't picking it up, try uninstalling it and installing Avast. (it's free) It's worth a shot because there is definitely something sinister going on with your computer.

If I were you, I wouldn't do any banking online or log into any credit card sites etc until it's fixed. They could be skimming all kinds of information from your computer. (all keystrokes etc)

For the record, I am not a fan of Norton. Years ago, I paid roughly $50.00 (maybe more) for Norton antivirus. My computer got infected with a virus. The Norton didn't stop it but detected that it was infected when I did a routine scan. Isn't the purpose of ANTI virus to stop the computer from getting the virus in the first place??? :hammer: To add insult to injury, I couldn't delete the virus after it was detected. I called Norton's customer service and had to speak to someone that spoke horrible broken English. We spent more time on the phone asking each other to repeat ourselves than anything else. I was told it would cost me something like $79.00 for him to tell me how to get rid of the virus!!!! What was I paying for Norton to begin with then?????? After that, I never used Norton again. I have only used free antivirus programs and have not had one problem since. Norton is a rip off and a scam in my opinion. :mad:

THERESA

Customer Service
...up to date and have your Visa handy so they can get rid of the virus they allowed to infect your computer in the first place. :)

the

New Email
...up to date and have your Visa handy so they can get rid of the virus they allowed to infect your computer in the first place. :)

...part of the problem is the re enter screen will not let me enter a new email address to send a new code it only shows an alternate address that happens to be a hotmail account as well so when I try to do that it says I am out of trys and try again later...

But get this...I tried to access the account from a friends computer and also down at the internet 'cafe...same block out

That account is where I check all my guest book enteries quite a few and about 5 blogs...by now there must be a couple of thousand entery/emails...maybe it over loaded hotmail??

here is the last screen I get to at hotmail
Recover your Microsoft account

What Microsoft account are you trying to get back into?

Email address
Where should we contact you?
Enter an email address that's different from the one you're trying to recover.

Contact email address
What language can we contact you in?
We're sorry that we can't contact you in your language right now. Please let us know what language we can use instead to contact you.

LanguageSelect oneArabicBulgarianCroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglish (United States)EstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGermanGreekHebrewHindiHungarianIndonesianItalianJapaneseKoreanLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayNorwegian (Bokmål)PolishPortuguese (Brazil)Portuguese (Portugal)RomanianRussianSerbian (Serbia, Montenegro)Simplified ChineseSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwedishThaiTraditional ChineseTurkishUkrainianVietnamese

Enter the Microsoft account you're trying to get back into. (This is the email address you use to sign in to Hotmail, Xbox LIVE, and other Microsoft services.)

Enter the characters you seeNew | Audio

GetHIPData
hig_progcircle_animated.gif

icon_err.gif
Please enter all of the characters you see.

That is too many characters. Please try again.
The characters didn't match the picture. Please try again.
You've reached the limit for number of attempts. These limits help us protect against spam from automated programs. You can try again later.​