used to show other peoples facebook page in right column??

freebeagles

New Email
A few months ago, if someone sent me an email to my outlook (hotmail) account and that person had a facebook page, I would see a link in the right column where I could click and go directly to that persons facebook. Then that column disappeared, and I can't seem to get it back. Instead, there is that stupid "adchoice" ad in that column. I do not believe I have a virus regarding adchoice... I think that is a "partner" of outlook, but I could be wrong. I use AVG for virus/adware detection and it runs automatically weekly. I do NOT own the OUTLOOK.COM program... I just sign into my hotmail account, and it goes to outlook.com. I googled this, but couldn't find any questions pertaining to my particular problem. I use win 8.1. I did try updating outlook ("people" tab, and it says "connected to facebook"), but nothing seems to get that right column to show those facebook links again. Anyone else experience this?
Thanks

peviha

Valued Member
Hi,

Have you tried clicking on the smiley face in the upper right corner of the screen when you're logged into your Outlook.com account? That displays a column on the right that sounds like the one you describe.

-peviha

freebeagles

New Email
Hi,

Have you tried clicking on the smiley face in the upper right corner of the screen when you're logged into your Outlook.com account? That displays a column on the right that sounds like the one you describe.

-peviha
Hi, That somewhat helped (after logging in)...THANKS. That now brings up a column of SOME of my outlook contacts who have facebook pages. I also turned chat on now. But what I was referring to still does not happen any more.. maybe microsoft changed it? When I used to open an email from someone I DID NOT KNOW, it would show their facebook page (the one associated with that email address they were using), and you could click on it and go there. Now, no matter whose email I open, I do not get THAT PERSONS facebook page showing up in that column like it used to. Instead I just get my full list of people with facebook pages, and without that new persons facebook page, if they have one. I found that feature to be very handy, but maybe people found that to be an invasion of privacy?? That is what I think may have happened...

peviha

Valued Member
Hi,

Glad it helped somewhat.

I don't know of the functionality you describe, so I can't help you with that I'm afraid.

-peviha

freebeagles

New Email
Hello,

Are you talking about the content from 3rd party networks settings in Outlook.com?

It sounds like you want this on and not off, but the screen shots will get you to the right place to check your configuration.

:welcome: to Email Questions!
Turns out it is the FACEBOOK setting ("Privacy Settings and Tools", then "Who can look me up?").... I believe that most people probably set this up NOW so that only FRIENDS can view their pictures when they send an email, so that is why that is gone on my screens. I actually remember that when facebook announce the privacy issue, I changed MINE to do that too. I guess everyone these days is privacy conscious, which is good, I suppose. Bummer for me though, since I liked seeing those peoples account linked to their phone number or their email account!!