use email to receive tenders

syw

New Email
I plan to use an email address (gmail) to receive tenders/quotations, but I don't want anyone to read them before the RFT/RFQ is closed. Is there a way to do this?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi syw,

Who are you concerned about reading the emails? Other employees at your company?

Where do the requests get stored after they are closed?

I'm not sure what the best solution is for you yet.

Maybe it's multiple IMAP accounts and dragging email between them in a mail program as the quotes are closed?

Maybe it's using a ticket system to manage the email? Maybe it's something else?

Also, if you didn't know already, Gmail allows +extensions for addresses, making it easy to create an email address such as username+requestfor@gmail.com

If you do that, it's easy to create a filter that sends email To: that address to a special label / folder.

syw

New Email
Hi popowich,

Thank you very much for your reply. Maybe I need to explain my problem further.

Requests for tenders/quotations are sent to contractors in pdf format. They fill in the information required and return the document through email before deadline. If anyone is allowed to read the email before deadline, there is a chance that the tender price may be known and disclosed to contractors who have not yet submitted their bid for the tender/quotation.

So every time I send out an RFT/RFQ, I want to lock the email account for a few days so that people can still send email to the address, but no-one, including me, is allowed to login and read the emails.

Is this possible? Or is there any software that can help?

syw

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I'm not aware of an email service that has this feature.

It's not possible to create this restriction with Gmail.

It's a feature that shouldn't be hard to implement though.

May I ask what industry you're in? Are you asking for a corporation or something else like a local government?

I'm asking that since I'm trying to gauge the potential use cases.

How bullet proof does the "no access" need to be?

If you had your own mail server the scripting is simple, but also easy to get around it.

Once an account is locked in a system the password is not good again until a certain date/time and no one can override, not even the customer support or "server guy" for the email service?

Update: I added it as a feature request here - SCRYPTmail feature requests | Page 2 | Email Questions

Last edited:

syw

New Email
I ask for a residents' association. We evaluate and award contracts for the residents, and so we are very concerned about the fairness of the tendering process. Any methods that are easy to get around won't be suitable for us.

We don't have a mail server.