Tutanota email delivers to the spam folder at Gmail

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
While verifying some settings and reviewing the interface of the Tutanota encrypted email service I found that they have a sender score of 73.

Tutanota Sender Score.jpg

As of June 2015, it appears that Tutanota has a problem with their systems being abused by spammers.

This isn't the type of issue that "tell the Gmail user to mark the email as not spam" will fix, the spam problem needs to be fixed at Tutanota.

Tutanota

Email Service Provider
Hello Popowich, Tutanota team here. We would like to look into the issue. Could you tell us which tool you used to get this graph? Thank you very much!

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi @Tutanota

The graph is from the Sender Score site. Sender Score's are a report card for your outgoing email reputation.

The sender score reputation for an IP address is used by many email services to help determine what to do with an incoming email connection, and the actual email if the transaction gets that far.

Many providers will reject connections from IP address with low sender scores. I typically see rejects increase significantly when a score drops below 60.

At 73 I'd expect some services to be blocking and some to be delivering to the spam folder. It's one of many potential checks in an email services anti-spam toolbox.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
The score dropped from a 73 last night to a 62 this morning.

There is definitely an active spam problem being seen by large email service providers that needs to get shut down.

Tutanota Sender Score Down.jpg

The data behind the scores comes from 3rd party email services feedback.

It's also possible, depending how you're setup, that it's not a problem with the email service but something about your web site that's being abused.

Your web logs and outgoing mail logs might have some clues.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi @Tutanota , your sender score dropped to a 47.

It seems the spam problem persists, unless it was stopped today and you're still suffering from 3rd party abuse reports.

Tutanota Sender Score 47.jpg

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I see their sender score improved from a 33 to a 51. It's an improvement. They have a ways to go.

Tutanota Spam Sender Score 51.jpg

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
@Tutanota How is it going? I'm curious what other technical issues may be going on. I see that you added sending limits. Was the source of the problem free accounts being used to spam and no other troubles?

Tutanota

Email Service Provider
@popowich Yes, the score (now at 61) is constantly getting better as our measures take effect. The main change was that the number of emails per free account per day are now limited so that Tutanota is probably not attractive to spammers anymore. In addition we block email addresses if someone forwards a spam email to us.