Trying to Identify Spam Email

Lawren5

New Email
I received an email today from an xxx@msn.com (I put xxx to hide the person's name). What has me confused about this email is that xxx.msn.com also appears as the recipient in the "To:" box rather than my email. When I hit reply, a different email address, xxx@gmx.com appears in the "To:" box.

The content of this email appears somewhat legit because it addresses my type of business. However, the email addresses being out of place and then changing in the reply have me concerned.

Is this email legit or should I mark it as spam?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

I recommend using your best judgement. It sounds like spam to me.

The Reply-To: vs From: difference can be explained by looking at the full headers.

To me that in itself, unless there is an obvious reason why, is a clear signal of spam to me.

:welcome: to Email Questions!

Lawren5

New Email
I checked the header but it did not find anything obvious like weird email addresses or multiple IP addresses.

Since the email content addresses my type of business but mentions no specifics about mine personally, I think the sender may have sent this email to other similar businesses and put all recipient email addresses in the BCC field. He may have used a bulk mailer program to set the return address to something other than that of the sender.

That's my guess anyway.

THERESA

Customer Service
I think the sender may have sent this email to other similar businesses and put all recipient email addresses in the BCC field. He may have used a bulk mailer program to set the return address to something other than that of the sender.

That's my guess anyway.

I was thinking the same thing. It still seems a bit sketchy. I would never trust anything that gave me any bad feelings at all. When in doubt, mark it as spam.