Thunderbird address book

trader

Valued Member
Greetings
Recently, with Raymond's expert help, I combined two email address books in Thunderbird into the one. However, when I imported the corrected version, Thunderbird created another Personal Address Book and does so each time I import an address book from outside of Thunderbird.
Having worked through the Thunderbird help files and getting nowhere fast, I'm wondering if anyone is able to help me in eliminating the default Thunderbird Personal Address Book so that all of my e-mail addresses will be contained in the one Personal Address Book. I've tried to delete the default Personal Address Book but Thunderbird won't allow this. I've tried to copy the addresses from the other Personal Address Book into the default one but, again, Thunderbird refuses to allow it. I'm sure there must be a way around this problem, it's just that I can't find it.
I'd be most grateful for any help to resolve this pest of a problem.
Best regards
Trader

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
Trader, cannot you just drag and drop a bunch of addresses from one 'book' to another? As far as I know TB won't let you delete an address book with addresses in it, but if you drag and drop all the entries in one to the other then delete the secondary book it should work.

If that doesn't work post back and I'll try it myself and on my end. :)

trader

Valued Member
Big Dan
You're a genius! Thanks a million. I've spent untold hours trying to discover the hidden secret to this puzzle and you've solved it in a matter of seconds. I must say that I don't do a lot of drops and drags and it would never have occurred to me to do it. I can't tell you how grateful I am to you for you tremendous advice.
All the best
trader

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
Glad I could help. :)

To move thinks along faster you can always Control Click which lets you select more than 1 item at a time or click in the address book listing and press Ctrl A which selects all then drag and drop.

trader

Valued Member
Thanks, again, Big Dan. I didn't know about the Ctrl A function (and probably a million other things) and it will come in very handy. I've seen my computer technician doing all sorts of short-cuts but was too slow to see what he'd done. I must set up a file recording all these great tips so that I can impress my wife with my keyboard skills.
Best regards
trader

crockhamtown

New Email
Hi Dan

It's good to know that you can delete Thunderbird address books.

I created two additional address books in Thunderbird but have never put any email addresses in them. I would like to tidy things up and get rid of them. I read that you can do something about it through about:config but would like some advice first.

If you can help in deleting these two empy address books I would be grateful.