Thousands of emails

DavB

New Email
Hello, all of a sudden Windows Live Mail is duplicating every email in my inbox. If I delete them, it receives them again. I've turned off my anti-virus and tried system restore but it won't complete. Step-by-step instructions to solve the problem would be appreciated.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

Are you using IMAP or POP3 to get your email?

Which email service is hosting your email?

I can help fix this problem with a little more information.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Which emails service are you using? I can help with the settings and screen shots if we know which server you're using.

If you switch to IMAP, you should both avoid this problem, and allow multiple devices to access your email without creating duplicates.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
For the moment do not touch the POP3 settings.

Go to File -> Options -> Email Accounts and add the IMAP settings for your account.

Windows Live Mail Add Email Account.jpg

When that is done copy any important email from the POP3 inbox to your new IMAP folders.

After you are certain that all of your email is visible in the IMAP version of your account it should be safe to remove the POP3 settings from Windows Live Mail

Last edited:

DavB

New Email
It's the one provided by Talk Talk, my internet provider. When I look at it remotely it comes from AOL.

DavB

New Email
Hi DavB,

This page on the TalkTalk support site lists the mail server settings and has guides for specific email clients - Email Settings - IMAP & POP3 | TalkTalk Help

Pick your domain name, such as talktalk.net, and then drill down to the instructions for IMAP + Windows Live Mail

I've just deleted a few thousand duplicate emails and, as yet, it hasn't started replacing them so I'll just wait and see what happens before doing anything else. Thanks for the help.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Did you try adding the IMAP settings for your email account to Windows Live Mail?

When that is done, is that section of your email showing the duplicates too?

DavB

New Email
Did you try adding the IMAP settings for your email account to Windows Live Mail?

When that is done, is that section of your email showing the duplicates too?

Haven't tried anything yet. Maybe just trying to follow your instructions before did something to stop it.