Suspicious message

ronann

Valued Member
I have received 2 Hotmail messages + attachments allegedly from the Outlook Team, email address, Service Alert (account.alert@live.com).
Briefly the message is:
'We detect multiple unsuccessful attempts using the reset password option by answering the security questions and answers from an unrecognised device. Location: Russian Federation (IP=188.128.99.94).
Was it you? If so disregard this memo. If so please view the attached PDF file to protect your e mail account from future compromise. To learn how sign in alerts like this one can help you protect your account info view the attached PDF file.'

Could this be a scam where someone is trying to get into my system?

Any help please keep it simple, pc novice.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Ronann,

The Hotmail team will not send you PDF's asking you about or to confirm your account information.

I suspect it's a scam asking for your username, password, and other personal information.

Mark the email as junk / spam / phishing

Never reply to an email or phone call that asks for your password.

:welcome: to Email Questions!

THERESA

Customer Service
It's also suspect because of the way they worded it.

"Was it you? If so disregard this memo. If so please view the attached PDF file to protect your e mail account from future compromise."

First they tell you to disregard the memo if it was you. Then they tell you to view the attached pdf "if so". They also didn't use a comma after "if so".

Bad grammar and/or spelling are usually present when you receive a scam notice like this.

ronann

Valued Member
Theresa,
Many thanks. Yes I was also suspicious how the message was structured, also the message started off 'Hello user' which indicated to me they didn't know who it was going to.
Again thanks.

THERESA

Customer Service
Anytime! Let us know if you ever have any more email related questions in the future. :)