Spammers are using my e-mail address as their own - mailwasher pro

trader

Valued Member
Greetings

Like everyone I receive lots of SPAM - why we dignify this scourge by spelling it with capitals is beyond me. Over the last few months many of these pests have started using my own e-mail address as their "from" address and, of course, when my filters blacklist it, it's my e-mail address, excluding the nom de plume of the sender, that is blacklisted. I use a wonderful program called MailWasher Pro which, at least, catches the SPAM so that I can delete it from the ISP server before I download my e-mails. With MailWasher's help I have set up special filters to try and overcome this problem of these pests using my e-mail address as their own but with limited success.
Does anyone have any suggestions how I can at least record the so-called name of the sender so that their name is blacklisted along with my e-mail address? I use Thunderbird.

Best regards
Trader

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Re: Spammers are using my e-mail address as their own

Hi Trader,

Do you have your own domain name and mail server or are you using an email hosting company?

It sounds to me like you want to create an SPF record, and then only accept mail from yourself and your domain from the IP addresses that you expect to be sending email from.

You can only do this if you have your own domain name. If you are using an ISP and have an account in one of their generic domains that many clients use then they won't be able to apple an SPF policy that works for you since it would also be affecting their other clients.

As long as your incoming mail server supports SPF, and it's your mail server, this may go a long way to solving this particular problem.

If the SPF record is not an option then it seems we should take a look at the Mail Washer Pro.

I installed the demo and am getting the following error :

Mail Washer Pro Error.JPG

I'm going to reboot and see if that fixes the problem and be back with another reply soon.

-Raymond

trader

Valued Member
Re: Spammers are using my e-mail address as their own

Greetings Raymond

Thank you for your response to my e-mail re spammers using my e-mail address as their own. I don't have my own domain, just the ISP access provided here in Australia by Optus. I'm guessing that the MailWasher program you downloaded was the free one which issues error messages all the time but if you ignore them and just continue on, access to the e-mails on the ISP's server is gained and everything works fine from there on.
I've got the paid version and it's really a great help with no error messages. As you would have deduced I'm no expert when it comes to e-mails and the technical side of them is way out of my league. For example, I thought that I should be able to send a received e-mail to someone as an attachment rather than using the forward method. But it seems that this can't be done.
But getting back to the original problem, MailWasher are a terrific crowd to deal with and they have made a number of suggestions re the creation of filters but they rarely seem to catch these spammers using my e-mail address as their own. So, I'm currently stuck with this problem of having myself blacklisted. I would gratefully appreciate any more suggestions you might be able to make re MailWasher Pro.

Best regards
Trader

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
It was the Mailwasher Pro 30 day trial software that would not start for me.

I would have preferred to have the same as you, but I uninstalled that and installed the free version and it's up and running.

-Raymond

trader

Valued Member
Greetings Raymond

I was both surprised and disappointed that you had this experience with MailWasher Pro. If you would like to let me know what the problems were I would be happy to pass them on to Victor at FireTrust (MailWasher) and let him know about them. Victor is one of the most helpful and obliging help consultants I've ever encountered at any software supplier and he really likes (hates) to hear about problems with MailWasher so that they can follow them up.

Best regards
Trader

Last edited:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Trader,

Sure, you can let them know. The error message can be seen by clicking the picture in port #2.

I installed it a couple times and did a reboot for good measure but continued to get that error from the 30 day trial version of mailwasher pro.

Do they have a comment on building their own SPF support and/or where mail from "me" is allowed to come from in case users are using a generic isp email domain? If you could say mail from "me" only comes from my home computer and/or ISP that would help with this problem.

-Raymond

trader

Valued Member
Greetings Raymond

I'll be happy to tell MailWasher about your problem but, pardon my lack of knowledge, how do I access the picture at port #2. I've tried copying it using printscreen but the image is extremely poor.

Best regards
Trader

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
If you click it it should pop up a high quality version.

Are you not able to click on it? Do you need to allow pop-u8ps from this site?

Interesting to know if that doesn't work for most people. No worries, no popup ads here! :)

-Raymond

trader

Valued Member
Thanks Raymond

I think I've captured it and as soon as I've finished trading for the day - I start in a few minutes - I'll send the details to Victor and let you know when he responds.

Best regards
Trader

trader

Valued Member
Hello Raymond

Well, I heard back from Victor at MailWasher and he suggested that it looks as though you're possibly using Windows 98SE which is not compatible with the current version of MailWasher and that you should try and earlier version, say, 6.3.
I'm rather shocked at this response because I would say that you would be using the latest version of everything, especially Windows. So there we go. What do you make of that?

Best regards
Trader