Spam settings on my blue host account

AnyaaMc

New Email
Hi Ray,
I have been getting so much spam on my blue host account that I am wondering if I need to adjust my spam filter at the site? I also want to make sure I have plenty of capacity there for email. Can you help? What do you need? I iwll be here off and on all day.:eek:

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
Hi Anyaa,

Ray isn't available at the moment but I can help. :) Blue Host uses a program called Spam Assassin to filter spam. Blue Host has a tutorial on modifying your spam settings here: https://my.bluehost.com/cgi/help/351

Personally, I forward my domain based email into Gmail as their spam filter is excellent and it's generally less fuss.

To manage your mailbox size you have to change the 'quota'. Here's BluHost's tutorial https://my.bluehost.com/cgi/help/421 for that.

If you'd rather Ray or myself modify your spam settings and quota just post back we'll get you fixed up. :)

Thanks,
Dan

AnyaaMc

New Email
Hi Dan, how are you? Hi also from Gary. Yes will you please do both for me?
I would greatly appreciate NOT having to wade through these instructions!
Blessings!
Please let me know:hammer: how it goes.

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
Hi Dan, how are you? Hi also from Gary. Yes will you please do both for me?
I would greatly appreciate NOT having to wade through these instructions!
Blessings!
Please let me know:hammer: how it goes.

Sure. I just need your Blue Host login. I'll catch you on Skype.

Say hello to Gary for me please. :)

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
FYI's for Ray:

- Increased quota for anyaa@goddessontheloose.com to unlimited. This should not be a problem as the hosting plan has 'unlimited' storage.
- Enabled Spam Assassin's Spam Box with a filtering threshold of 5. Advised Anyaa that we can adjust this setting should spam still be a problem.
- Confirmed via Team Viewer that the email account is setup via IMAP which means the spam box should show up.
- Looked at Outlook's spam settings. Confirmed junk senders are being added to the blacklist. Outlook exhibits strange behavior in that a message marked as junk adds the sender to the blacklist but doesn't physically move the message out of the inbox. This is probably a design flaw but working as designed.

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
Change of plans upon additional questions from Anyaa I moved her over to Gmail. Gmail's spam filtering is bar none this will consolidate all her accounts and make everything simpler over all for her.

-Disabled Spam Assassin's Spambox
-Set Gmail to POP out anyaa@goddessontheloose.com and anyaamc@me.com left copies of messages on server.
-Copied all folders to Gmail.
-Set Gmail folders as favorites in Outlook.

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
Had a couple changes here. Gmail cannot POP out iCloud addresses for some reason. I just setup a forward into Gmail.

I'm going to wrap up for the evening but will continue copying folders over to Gmail tomorrow.

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
Changelog ver 4.0:

• Set Gmail to discard messages on server after retrieval from anyaa@goddessontheloose.com. No use letting that mailbox grow out of control in size when the messages are being read via Gmail.
  • Set iCloud to forward email to Gmail and delete after forwarding.
  • Copied the remaining folders over to Gmail from both accounts.
  • Collapsed Outlook's folder trees for anyaa@goddessontheloose and anyaamc@me.com. Left accounts configured so mail can be sent from those addresses via Outlook.
  • Setup Send Mail as in Gmail for both addresses.

I'm waiting Anyaa's return on Skype to answer a few questions she has then this should be wrapped up.

Will advise Anyaa on Gmail's web interface as well as the iPhone app.