Someone is using my email signature to promote their beliefs! How?

Can anyone tell me how it is possible that an person/organization could use the beautiful quote I used in my email signature to sell their products and promote their beliefs? Without my permission? I attributed my quote about travel - rightfully - to St Augustine, and each time I send an email there appears below it a link to a religious website whose views, products and tactics I do not approve or want to share! I feel that I am being used.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
It sounds like your email account might have been compromised. Which email service webmail or email client are you using to send your email? If you check your settings, does the link appear in your signature configuration?

Hello, thank you so much for responding... I use gmail. I would never set up that link in my email signature configuration... I would not want to be associated with an organization that espouses intolerant, evangelical Christian beliefs. I'm sure St Gus, the author of the quote, wouldn't appreciate it either. How would I remove the link? I don't see anything in my signature file, and I've only noticed it when someone replies to my email.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
If you send an email from your Gmail to another email address, such as a work address or another personal address, do you still see the link inserted near your signature?

Are you going to the Gmail web site to send email, or do you have an email program installed on your computer that you use to send email?

I go to gmail on the internet and then send my mail. Also, I did send an email to myself at another account, but I didn't find the link. But I did that after I had removed the credit to St Augustine, and then added it again.... so maybe I did something to disrupt the connection? If I just credit "St Gus" -- abbreviating his name, I wonder if that would help?