Some email sent to my Yahoo Email delayed and/or not ever delivered to me

frozentoes

New Email
I have an email account at yahoo.com. I am receiving SOME emails but not others. I'd appreciate some advice on how to proceed.
For example, two friends who sent me an email from the State of Alaska at almost the same time - one msg got through, another not. Later, I did get a message from the same friend whose first message did not get through.
I'm not sure how to give you the information you need, but here's an example:
One friend send me a msg from her acsalaska account, and five days later got this back which she forwarded to me at the same Yahoo email account which obviously worked THAT time:

From: Mail Delivery Subsystem [mailto:MAILER-DAEMON@denali.acsalaska.net]
Sent: Saturday, February 06, 2010 8:58 AM
To: (I deleted her email address here for privacy)
Subject: Returned mail: see transcript for details

The original message was received at Mon, 1 Feb 2010 08:54:22 -0900 (AKST)
from 209-112-186-48-rb1.nwc.dsl.dynamic.acsalaska.net [209.112.186.48]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<XXXXXX (my Yahoo address deleted for privacy)@yahoo.com>

----- Transcript of session follows ----- <XXXXXX (my Yahoo address deleted for privacy)@yahoo.com>...
Deferred Message could not be delivered for 5 days Message will be deleted
from queue

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

The sending IP address is on a couple of commonly used RBL blacklists : Network Tools: DNS,IP,Email

Have the owner of 209-112-186-48-rb1.nwc.dsl.dynamic.acsalaska.net [209.112.186.48] go to the link above, fix any problems that still exist, and after the problems are resolved they should have a better chance of email being accepted by the Yahoo mail servers.

If they are running a personal mail server from a dynamic IP address they'll have a better chance of their email being received if they configure their mail server to relay outgoing email out through their ISP's smtp servers.

frozentoes

New Email
I see that the State of Alaska Home, State of Alaska also shows as blacklisted on that site. I'm a little concerned that an entire State organization is blacklisted, as well as an ACS server. ACS is a legitimate telecommunications company here.
What is up with that?!
Are you sure this blacklisting isn't going overboard?
I will send your suggestion along to ACS and the State, but I guess I'm wondering is this blacklisting is in error. Do you have a feel for that?
Thanks so much for your help.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Here are the details for one of the listings and the removal procedure : The Spamhaus Project - PBL

The reverse DNS naming scheme looks dynamic in nature. Any state mail server should be clearly identified with matching forward and reverse DNS. Any dynamic hostnames should be configured to relay outgoing email through the state servers. It's not required, but best practice if they want a better chance of email originating from them to be accepted by others.

It does not appear to be a case of overboard blacklistings. It's common for IP space that appears to be dynamic to be listed in RBL's that help mail administrators to refuse email from such IP blocks if they choose to not receive email from them. For example email coming directly from dialup ranges, home cable modems, etc is blocked by many providers. It's standard now for those users to be sending email out their ISP's outgoing smtp relays.

jeffhardy

New Email
There are many known issues when receiving emails at Yahoo from other mail services. Yahoo--for good or bad--is very restrictive. Their security choices are a bit different that others in the field (I work for SmarterTools, the makers of SmarterMail mail server).

We hav eliterally millions of mailboxes that run on our software so we have a lot of experience with people trying to send email to Yahoo accounts. Whatever mail service is sending to Yahoo, it is important that a few things are correctly done or delays--sometimes hours--can result. You have to have updated SPF and PTR records in place and have implemented Domain keys and submitted them to Yahoo.

We wrote a KB article on this to help:
Yahoo Deferment / DomainKeysIM (DKIM) - SmarterTools Inc.

I hope that this helps.

Jeff