Server Setup

awdscot

New Email
Hi,

fairly new to setting up email servers and im currently just playing about with ip addresses for servers instead of actual domain names.

If i setup my smtp server i am able to send emails out using my local ip address of my server eg.192.168.0.1 but from within that same location i cant use the external address on the internet eg.10.10.10.90. I can also send emails if im at another location and point it to the external ip but i guess there is some conflict when using the external ip when behind that actual ip address.

Maybe i need to use a proxy server but i was hoping there would be an easier way round it.

Hope you can advise.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

Both 192.168.0.1 and 10.10.10.90 are internal non-routable IP addresses. It's possible if you are using a connection at home that 10.10.10.90 is your cable modem or a hop that belong to your ISP. Neither of those is your public IP address on the internet. To figure out your public IP address try this web site : What Is My IP Address? - IP Address Lookup, Internet Speed Test, IP Info, plus more from the mail server. If that's not possible you can try to telnet/ssh out to another server to see what IP address you have. Also, you may need to configure your network and/or firewall to allow tcp port 25 (smtp) traffic from the internet into your mail server.

-Raymond

awdscot

New Email
Sorry i picked wrong ip addresses to give you an example.

My Email server has ip address of 192.168.0.1 and my ip address of router on the internet is 80.x.x.x. I just made up addresses. So if i set outlook up to use email server as 192.168.0.1 then it works but what i really want is to set it up with the address 80.x.x.x so that when i am not at home i can still send emails to my smtp server. If i use the external address at home this doesnt work.

Port 25 is configured correctly.

I was thinking maybe i need to add an entry to my hosts file or use a porxy server.

Hope this makes sense.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

It is far easier to help you troubleshoot the problem if you provide the real complete IP addresses.

Also, which mail server software (MTA) are you running?

Without being able to check it myself my first guess is that the port is not open.

Try doing a telnet to 80.x.x.x 25 . Do you get a response?

If not, does your ISP block incoming connections on port 25?

Double check that your network NAT's and firewalls are configured correctly.

Do you get any error messages?

Is that IP address that you are sending from allowed to relay though 80.x.x.x ? You will either need to configure it to allow relaying based on IP address, or configuring some form of smtp authentication so that you can use a username and password to let it know that you are allowed to relay mail through your mail server from the remote hosts.

-Raymond