Sending to Hotmail email addresses

Hi all

I have repeated problems sending to xxx@hotmail.com type addresses. I get a message which says:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

xxx@hotmail.co.uk
SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<xxx@hotmail.co.uk>:
host mx2.hotmail.com [65.54.188.72]: 550 Requested action not taken:
mailbox unavailable

I am pretty sure the address is correct and I have tried with both my account and my husband's.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to get this email to send? Preferably in layman's terms!

Many thanks

Kate

foggy

Valued Member
Hi, Kate

Welcome to the forums !

You'll have to wait til Ray (Popowich) or Big Dan drop by to get a more authoritative answer to your problem (I tend to have more questions than answers :rolleyes: ), but for information-gathering sake:

Are you (and your husband) sending to this address from Hotmail accounts yourselves, or are you with a different service (like Gmail) ? If you're using Hotmail, is it .com, .co.uk or something else ?

If you have been using Hotmail accounts, do you also by chance have a secondary account somewhere (which, btw, is a good idea for backing up important data !!) that you could use to check if that account successfully sends to the Hotmail.co.uk address ?

Are you sure your emails go through when sending to an account other than a Hotmail account ?

Do you happen to know whether other people sending to these hotmail.co.uk recipients are successfully having their emails go through ?

Also, do you use your service's webmail or some offline client (Thunderbird, Outlook) ? If the latter, and you use Hotmail, here's a page you can use to double-check your settings.

Incidentally, I don't know if you're aware of it, but there have been loads of people having problems with Hotmail of late, esp. in December and January. Many lost emails, accounts being blocked, etc. (You could look here and scroll down for some recent blog posts and comments by users who are still having issues after Hotmail declared the problem resolved.) I only mention this on the off chance that you (if you have a Hotmail account) or your recipient might be experiencing some 'issue' with Hotmail that you/they might be otherwise unaware of, which in that case may very well be Hotmail's fault.

:welcome:

Hi, Kate

Welcome to the forums ! THANKYOU!

You'll have to wait til Ray (Popowich) or Big Dan drop by to get a more authoritative answer to your problem (I tend to have more questions than answers :rolleyes: ), but for information-gathering sake:

Are you (and your husband) sending to this address from Hotmail accounts yourselves, or are you with a different service (like Gmail) ? If you're using Hotmail, is it .com, .co.uk or something else ? wE HAVE A BUSINESS WEBSITE, Home AND WE HAVE SET UP EMAILS FROM THIS (HOSTED ON HOSTROUTE) WHICH WE HAVE SET UP IN OUTLOOK.

If you have been using Hotmail accounts, do you also by chance have a secondary account somewhere (which, btw, is a good idea for backing up important data !!) that you could use to check if that account successfully sends to the Hotmail.co.uk address ?

Are you sure your emails go through when sending to an account other than a Hotmail account ? NO PROBLEM.

Do you happen to know whether other people sending to these hotmail.co.uk recipients are successfully having their emails go through ? YES, OTHER PEOPLE ALSO HAVE THIS PROBLEM.

Also, do you use your service's webmail or some offline client (Thunderbird, Outlook) ? If the latter, and you use Hotmail, here's a page you can use to double-check your settings.

Incidentally, I don't know if you're aware of it, but there have been loads of people having problems with Hotmail of late, esp. in December and January. Many lost emails, accounts being blocked, etc. (You could look here and scroll down for some recent blog posts and comments by users who are still having issues after Hotmail declared the problem resolved.) I only mention this on the off chance that you (if you have a Hotmail account) or your recipient might be experiencing some 'issue' with Hotmail that you/they might be otherwise unaware of, which in that case may very well be Hotmail's fault. THAT'S INTERESTING!

:welcome:

Hi Foggy

Thanks for your reply. I've answered the main questions above. I don't know if the answers give you any more clues.

Cheers

Kate

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Kate,

If you are certain it's a valid email address then most likely the email host you are using for sending email has been blocked by Hotmail. It's possible that other users have had their accounts abused and used to send spam. Double check with your host and have them check their outgoing mail logs for signs of more general trouble for example that none of their users can (intermittently?) send email to Hotmail members and that it is not just you experiencing the problem.

Can you double check the address, and if your host has been blocked, by trying to send an email to the account from a secondary email account for example from a Gmail account?

That alone should help you to quickly narrow down where the problem is.

:welcome: to Email Questions!