Sending e-mails as attachments

trader

Valued Member
Greetings

I was wondering if it is possible to send copies of e-mails as attachments rather than using the forward option. I hate receiving e-mails with fwd on them - I'm rather anal retentive - and this little abbreviation appearing on my e-mails, especially the ones I send myself from one computer to another, annoys the hell out of me.
Do you have any suggestions that might help resolve this silly annoyance? Only polite suggestions are acceptable.

Best regards
Trader

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

What kind of attachment? Plain text, .eml, some other format?

I figure this needs to be automated when you hit forward?

Are you married to any particular email program for reading and replying to your emails?

-Raymond

trader

Valued Member
G'Day Raymond
I use Thunderbird exclusively and the e-mails I'm referring to are just the everyday type we all receive from wherever. Most are plain text but it seems that e-mails are quite different in structure from other types of documents, eg, a word processor documents, which can simply be attached to a new e-mail and sent off to another person. Although I send out and receive lots of e-mails I have no idea about their nature or structure and so I guess that's why they're forwarded rather than sent as attachments. It just seems an untidy way to have to send out a copy of an e-mail.
Best regards
James

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi James,

Email is text and there is a structure that it is supposed to have so that all email servers and programs can communicate and read the emails sent between each other. For the technically curious here is a link to an RFC related to email message format.

Attaching previous emails as attachments instead of quoted comments is an interesting idea. It can make following a conversation difficult, but I agree it can make the email more tidy and clean looking. Are you looking for a manual or automated solution? Do you always want all forwards attached instead of being quoted text?

Do these steps work as a solution for you?

• Open the email that you want to forward.
  • Select Message, select Forward As, and then select Attachment.
  • Type in the To: address and any new text in the message body
  • When done click Send
-Raymond

trader

Valued Member
Hello Raymond

Thank you for your e-mail re the "fwd" nuisance. I read your e-mail with great interest and thought how obvious your possible solution was. Very quickly I set about sending off an e-mail as an attachment the way you described and when it arrived at one of my other computers, there were those 3 little letters "fwd." So it would seem we're destined to have to contend with this trivial annoyance. I thank you all the same and look forward to our next correspondence. I will get onto the MaliWasher review ASAP - things have been rather chaotic - and send it off to you.
In the meantime, keep well.

Best regards
James