Scheduled Maintenance

brittneybooks

New Email
Today is my third day without yahoo mail. Still getting the same error message. Curiously, it seems to be working for everyone else I know, and also works for my secondary email address with yahoo. It just so happens that the email I need, and use for important business, is totally inaccessible, which was a big issue yesterday during my book release.

Definitely getting frustrated! :mad:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I think it's fair to say that Yahoo users are more upset that there are not frequent and accurate outage updates from Yahoo than their email being down at this point.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
A sampling of the current Yahoo feedback on Twitter:

Yahoo Mail Twitter.jpg

At least the twitter egg is still having a good time spamming :)

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
For anyone who missed it on page 1 of this thread, using Thunderbird + IMAP was reported as working sometimes (rarely?) to get Yahoo Mail users access to their email:

Can I use thunderbird with Yahoo Mail? | Email Questions

If your Yahoo Mail web page is still broken, but Thunderbird + IMAP works for you, please let us know to confirm this is still a valid solution to try.

Last edited:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Current status update from Yahoo:

We are very sorry for recent difficulties with Yahoo Mail.

Some of our users have not been able to access their mail since 10:27 PM PT on Monday night, due to a hardware problem in one of our mail data centers.

The issue has been harder to fix than we originally expected.

We have dozens of people working around the clock to bring it to a resolution.

We believe our current efforts will restore our users’ access to their inboxes by 3 pm PT today.

We’ll post again then on our @YahooMail Twitter handle.

by Jeffrey Bonforte, SVP of Communication Products

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Yahoo Mail status

Update 12/11/13 3:30 pm PST

As we shared earlier, a small percentage of our users could not access their Yahoo Mail accounts.
We are continuing to work hard to fix this issue and will provide another update at 5 p.m. Pacific Time.

Again, we are sorry for the inconvenience.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Update 12/11/13 5:00 pm PST

Most affected users should now be able to access their Yahoo Mail accounts on the web and our apps for iOS, Android and Windows 8. Most users should be able to log into their accounts, and send and receive messages. We're continuing to restore access for all affected users.

You'll notice that your most recent messages may not be appearing in your Inbox. We're starting to deliver emails that were sent to you during the outage. Because we have a backlog, it may take us a bit of time but rest assured we're trying to deliver them as fast as we can.

For some of you, emails between 11/25 and 12/9 may not be showing up in your Inbox — we're still working on bringing all accounts up to date. We're also working on restoring IMAP and POP access for those of you accessing your email through a non-Yahoo app (such as Outlook, Apple Mail, or the native mail app on your phone).

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Trying to move or make a backup copy of your Yahoo email to your computer?

I recommend Mozilla Thunderbird - http://www.emailquestions.com/mozilla-thunderbird/8246-can-i-use-thunderbird-yahoo-mail.html

To avoid problems sending email configure both Yahoo and your ISP mail servers in your outgoing mail server settings.

Then, if Yahoo has a problem, you can still access your existing mail, and can temporarily send through your ISP relays (if they don't block From: @yahoo.com) until the Yahoo servers are working again.

To help get around that problem, consider registering your own domain name so you can send From: your-domain.com:

http://www.emailquestions.com/yahoo-mail/8526-yahoo-users-consider-getting-your-own-domain-name.html

If you need any help including getting the settings right for your email program or finding ISP settings please reply here.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Don't forget there is a Yahoo Mail App for your phone.

If your phone is more convenient than a mail program such as Thunderbird for alternate access, try the Yahoo Mail App available in your phones app store.

brittneybooks

New Email
Yesterday evening I was able to finally access my mail. Unfortunately, everything between November 29th and now has vanished, including any important emails I may have received during the time of my book release. I think I can officially say that I will be switching to Gmail.