Safe-mail.net is down for critical maintainance (maintenance)

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Adding a screen shot of the current maintenance message when browsing by IP

Safe-Mail November 2015.jpg

The title tab for the maintenance page says "shutdown". Did it say that before?

safe-mail shutdown.jpg

Tball

New Email
I'm a bit bored, curious (and tired) myself. taking a guess here, but assuming 10million accounts (most of probably which are free, so limits on mailbox space), 20% loss, guessing no data-dedup in place in their backup/restore strategy, maybe 1PB of data, using LTO6 tapes and two tape drives, ~41 days straight if working non-stop. Many variables to account for though (4 tape drives would almost half the restore time for example, while LTO4 tapes would nearly take twice as long ).

I would hope that they would warn their customers if they thought it would be down for that long. We should've received a time guesstimate by now.

rradam

Valued Member
Indeed, they know their infrastructure, and should have an estimate as to when things should be complete. They may be having issues in identifying the spammers they are trying to ban. It's apparent they had a rough estimate as to how many accounts (250k) but they may be having issues identifying the specific accounts (I'm speculating here).

If you remember about a week before the crash they suffered a pretty heavy DoS attack. There are a lot of vigilante spam hunters that have been known to target entire hosts that house large numbers of spammers, regardless of why they are housed; whether it be intentional, apathy, laziness, or incompetence. If they are taking the time to review account activity, it may be harder to provide an estimate as to when service will be restored.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
That link appears to be for September 11th and skips to the November maintenance page when I click ahead.

Are you sure it was up on 10/31? Did you get in on 10/31?

I think there would have been happy users reporting that they were back in at the time.

Gindan

Valued Member
That link appears to be for September 11th and skips to the November maintenance page when I click ahead.

Are you sure it was up on 10/31? Did you get in on 10/31?

I think there would have been happy users reporting that they were back in at the time.

You are right, wrong link.

Martinr

New Email
Alarm bells rang when I discovered safe-mail was an Israeli organization, but I did nothing about it, and now it serves me right. Based on many years' experience, knew I wouldn't be able to trust it and so it proved.

JackJones

Valued Member
Progress at last
Wed Nov 4 03:20 EST 2015

We are sorry! Safe-mail is not ready yet.
Safe-mail.net is down for critical maintainance.

• The Safe-mail.net system suffered a major storage hardware crash.
      Much of the Safe-mail.net system is now renewed. Most of the users' data was not affected by the crash, as we already moved it to a new system during the last few months.
      Once the system is functioning again, most of the hardware (and operating system) will be new.
    • We salvaged additional data from the crashed storage.
      About 8% of user's data need to be recovered from the Backup system. Accounts that will be restored from the Backup system may loose the last few hours of activity before the crash.
    • The Safe-mail.net system suffered a major storage hardware crash.
      About 80% of user's data is not affected by the crash, as we already moved it to a new system during the last few months.
      The rest is either to be salvaged from the crashed storage, or will be restored from the Backup system.
  1. At this time we will permanently remove about 250,000 user accounts that were involved in activity which violates the Safe-mail.net Agreement and policy.
    Note: Only those who violates our policy will be deleted. Most accounts are not affected.

2. Free web based registration to Safe-mail.net will not be available.
    Free accounts will be opened by sending a request to Safe-mail.net.

3. In the near future, separate subsystems will be used for Free and Premium accounts.
    This will enable better service and even enable shutdown of the Free subsystem without affecting the Premium users.

Further information will be published.

Johny Walker

New Email
Love reading the comments.....Definitely LE involved there... I've moved on to DeepDerkWeb mail..much better, safer, and in russia.
ddw-mail.xyz

s joss

New Email
As of today, I'm getting server not found. I'm sure many Safemail clients are looking on these sites for answers. The only thing I can think of doing at this time is to put my safe mail user name out there in hopes that one or more of my contacts see it and reply......

Anony

New Email
Must contact Dark Web to register for an account. Safe-Mail 3 MB...Dark Web 2 MB. Premium is $5.95 bitcoin for 1 year. I am with Gindan on this one.

Noticed Safe-Mail is registered until October or November 2017. They will resurface someday in the future. :innocent:
By the way Jack J, hope you didn't eat all the popcorn.