Rookie question, running out of email space

IronHawk

New Email
I have an email question for the experts.

My private domain registrar is giving me a free mailbox, although it only has 5 GB of storage.

A few years ago, I pointed my registrar's MX records at Gmail. When I overran the 5 GB limit with my registrar, it didn't seem to matter because my email continued to flow into my Gmail inbox, up beyond 15 GB. There were no interruptions or problems.

Then Google started charging a fee to all Workspace users (it was called "Google Apps" back then). So I exported all my mail to Thunderbird via Mbox.

My domain registrar recently created a new mailbox for me, with the same 5 GB limit, which I am now up to 92% full. As you know, Thunderbird stores emails directly on the user's PC. I have about a TB of space on my PC.

Since my MX records are pointed at my registrar's own servers, I'm wondering if my email is going to stop coming in once I get to the 5 GB limit. I'd rather not pay for more storage when I have so much space on my PC.

Is there a way to direct the registrar's MX records at my PC? A brief web search tells me that I can use software like Postfix or Dovecot, but apparently it's complicated? Is there an easier way to do this? Will my Thunderbird continue to work, even past the 5 GB limit?

I have some ability to follow basic directions, but I am definitely a rookie. Any help would be much appreciated.